Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Gasket Replacement Procedure

VIN
    Grady shipped me a set of gaskets a day or so ago, along with valve cover gaskets, head bolts, and a timing chain gasket just in case I have to pull that cover. I wonder if Grady is selling the same head gaskets as Josh.

Normally I cross reference stuff myself, but a head gasket is something I don't want to go cheap on and risk having to do it again.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    I did read something about Josh's procedure and I plan to do that. Something about torching each bolt to 25 lbs, then 50 lbs, and then 80 lbs I believe. Makes perfect sense to me.

Some of the info in the DML document looks a little out dated, but I was glad just to get a picture of what the camshaft bracket is supposed to look like.

I drained coolant from the car today and pushed the car back in the garage. One of my relatives had an emergency so I didn't get to do much more out there. I'm going to start taking stuff apart tomorrow. Its nice to be able to take my time doing stuff inside instead of having to worry about leaving parts laying around outside of the course of several days.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Making progress but I had to stop since its time to go visit the parents.

So far I've removed the alternator, ac compressor, intake, passenger exhaust manifold, distributor and valve covers.

Silly me, I marked the distributor and rotor before pulling them, but I forgot to mark the orientation of the distributor cap. Fortunately there are only two positions for reinstalling the distributor cap.

I gave each of the head bolts a spray of Kroil and I'm going to drop by harbor freight for a new breaker bar this evening. My old harbor freight breaker bar broke about five years ago.

I still have to fashion a tool to hold the camshaft sprocket in place for each head. I plan to do one head at a time.

I have a piece of aluminum and clamps to make the bracket. I'll make the tool in a day or so. Right now i just want to see if I can loosen those head bolts.

It's nice having a garage. I don't have to worry about weather or picking up my mess until the job is done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

VIN
    On another note, my current valve cover gaskets are from John Hervey. They are both fully intact after removing the valve covers. I am very tempted to reuse them. They seem to be very high quality.

I installed his valve cover gaskets and timing cover gasket six or so months ago when I replaced my clutch. I haven't had a single oil leak since installing them.

VIN
    Got the passenger head off this evening.

My biggest advise is don't monkey with that timing chain gear once you have it clamped down and the allen screw that holds it loosened. I was adjusting one of the clamps I was using to hold the gear and it slipped. I'm pretty sure that means I now have to take the timing chain cover off to release a tensioner.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

Unfortunately I don't have lights in the shop yet so I had to use a flashlight to take these pictures.

I'll take some better pictures tomorrow.

Administrator
    VIN
    This is a great thread....thanks for sharing, Steve!

VIN
    Another bit of advice is to make sure you remove the alternator bracket, even though it looks like the head can be removed with the bracket still on.

I had trouble removing the head and it was because the bracket was rubbing against the timing chain cover. As soon as I took the bracket off the head, I was able to remove the head with ease.

Before removing the head, I did tap it in several places with a hammer to loosen it up. I then rocket it back and forth before removing it from the engine block. Hopefully I didn't screw up any piston liners. I honestly have no clue how to know if I messed up the liners or not.

VIN
    Here are some much better pictures. It looks like the head gasket on the passenger side was fine. It got a little buggered up when I was removing the head, but I don't see any signs of leaks.

Hopefully the driver side will have a more obvious sign of a leak.

I will say this though, my leak has been very minor. There is a possibility the driver side will look fine as well.

VIN
    Tonight I cleaned where the head bolts to the engine block. I used carb cleaner, dawn detergent mixed with water, and a ball of foil.

The nice thing about aluminum foil is it is stronger than the gasket but softer than the engine block. You can scrub all you want and it won't scratch the mating surface.

I basically kept the foil wet with the soapy water and occasionally sprayed the engine with carb cleaner. I spent about an hour doing this.
    20180704_204703.jpg

VIN
    Things are slowly coming along. Tonight I spent about an hour cleaning the surface of the passenger side head.

I used detergent, carb cleaner, Kroil, foil, and 320 grit sand paper by hand. Spent about an hour cleaning the surface and I must say it looks very nice.

The head gaskets are supposed to arrive tomorrow. If all goes as planned, I'll bolt up the passenger side head tomorrow and begin removing the driver side head.

I still have to pull the bumper and timing cover so I can release the tensioner on the passenger side as well.