Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Head Gasket Replacement Procedure

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Does anyone recognize this part? I found it under the car tonight while putting the headers black on.

I can't figure out where it came from. For all I know, it could be part of a broken tool from when the garage was built or it could be something from the engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    Does it stick to a magnet? Look around on the rest of the floor in your garage to see if you find any more. Is what looks like a flap on the end of it in your second & third picture metal and is this pin solid or hollow?

EDIT: 1st, 2nd & 4th picture with what looks like a flap.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS81DMC View Post
    EDIT: 1st, 2nd & 4th picture with what looks like a flap.
    Solid metal that appears to be broken off.

Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Exhaust is back on the car and it runs fine. The car might actually make it to DCS.

I'm waiting for a set of gaskets to go on the camshaft covers and a set of new valve and timing cover gaskets. Right now I have a makeshift RTV gasket on the timing chain cover and NOS gaskets on the valve covers.

Hervey sent me an email saying his fancy smancy gaskets are on back order. I went ahead and ordered the gaskets from Rock Auto. I might leave what is currently on the car, but I'll have to do a little driving before I make that final decision. I'm sure I'll have to pull those covers off again someday anyway, so even if I don't use the Rock Auto gaskets this time, I will have them sitting in my garage for whenever I do need them.

Thats a wrap for tonight. I'm going to bed. I sure do enjoy being able to work on the car late at night. I never was able to do stuff like this when the car was outside.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Does anyone recognize this part?
    I've never seen that end of the car so maybe this is way out in left field, but could it be a dowel from the engine/trans? From your semi-recent clutch job?
    -Luke / 10270 / Turbo / EFI

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I've never seen that end of the car so maybe this is way out in left field, but could it be a dowel from the engine/trans? From your semi-recent clutch job?
    After getting some sleep, I think I figured it out. Last night I had to manually fill the bowl on the carburetor to get the car to run. I suspect that the piece I found under the car is part of the fuel pump. I looked at some pictures of mechanical fuel pumps and the part I found looks like an exact match. My guess is, that when I was tightening the the driver side camshaft sprocket, the cam must have pushed the end of the mechanical fuel pump off. This explains why the mechanical fuel pump never filled the bowl on the carburetor.

I have plans for today but when I get home this evening I'm going to pull the mechanical fuel pump to inspect it. More than likely that's where this mystery piece came from. Fortunately I have a spare fuel pump, so it won't be a big deal to put a new one on the car. Looks like it's time to order more mechanical fuel pumps to keep in the garage.

VIN
    Just as I suspected. It was from the fuel pump.

So add this note to the head gasket procedure. If you have a mechanical fuel pump, remove it before tightening down the passenger side camshaft sprocket.

The metal plunger on my old fuel pump is toast, but I plan to keep the diaphragm as a spare part.

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    I'm so proud of you, I could take a turn at buying hamburgers.
    Working on "The other DeLorean" (1966 GTO).

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I'm so proud of you, I could take a turn at buying hamburgers.
    I'm not sure if I'm proud or ashamed. I made a handful of mistakes doing this job but I sure did learn a lot.

Next time I do a head gasket job it should go a lot faster.

VIN
    Incidentally, I put a new fuel pump in the car and it runs fine. Unfortunately my timing cover RTV gasket is leaking.

Hervey told me his gaskets are in back order so I'll have to wait for a gasket from Rock Auto to show up.

No biggie though. It shouldn't take much more than an hour or so to pull the exhaust and timing cover.

I'm also waiting for those rear camshaft hole gaskets to come in. Right now I don't have have the covers on.

I cant find my timing light so I timed the distributor by ear the best I could. It runs nice but I still want to find my timing light so I can do it right.

I ran the car for about 15 minutes. It didn't over heat and coolant didn't come out of the over flow tank. Coolant would come out of the over flow tank before. Sounds fixed to me.