Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Gasket Replacement Procedure

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    You're not turning the engine with the heads off are you!!!??? Doing so can result in a dislodged cylinder liner and a failure of the liner seal at the base of the block resulting in a coolant leak.
    Nah. I'm only turning the engine when the heads are bolted down.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Administrator
    VIN
    Looking good, man!

VIN
    Heads are bolted back on and timing chains are now set.

The timing chain procedure is very difficult the first time you do it and super easy the second time you do it.

Tomorrow I'll figure out top dead center and drop the distributor in.

I still need to torque down the head bolts as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Do you think electrolysis/ bad grounding had anything to do with your head gaskets going bad in the first place? Sometimes I lay awake at night and think of these things. And boobs and money too.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Duplicate Account View Post
    Do you think electrolysis/ bad grounding had anything to do with your head gaskets going bad in the first place? Sometimes I lay awake at night and think of these things. And boobs and money too.
    Beats me. These engines are pretty freaking old though. Anything can wear out over time.

VIN
    This morning I confirmed with Grady that his head gaskets can be torqued using the same procedure as Bengston's. Unfortunately my el cheapo Harbor Freight torque wrench broke this evening. I will pick up a new one tomorrow.

Finding top dead center is pretty easy on these engines. There is an access plug below the water pump. I put my oil gauge in the hole and turned the engine until it dropped. Once it dropped, I removed it and visually looked at the gap it fell into. Providing this is the correct procedure, the engine is now at TDC. I then dropped the ignition distributor in and made sure the rotor was lined up with the #1 position.

I reconnected a few hoses, fuel line, and temporarily put the covers on the engine so I could blow out the valley and intake.

Right now I have a set of gaskets for the valve covers and timing chain cover on order from Hervey. In my opinion, his are the best.

I'll torque down the heads, tighten the camshaft sprocket, and install the exhaust headers over the next day or two while I wait for Hervey's gaskets to arrive.

VIN
    Does anyone recognize this part? I found it under the car tonight while putting the headers black on.

I can't figure out where it came from. For all I know, it could be part of a broken tool from when the garage was built or it could be something from the engine.

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    Working on "The other DeLorean" (1966 GTO).

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I pulled the cover from the passenger side and everything was intact, including that pin.

I'll check the driver side tonight.

Thanks.

VIN
    I pulled the driver side valve cover this evening and couldn't find anything broken. I have no clue where that piece came from.

I suppose it could have been from when the garage was built. I never did sweep the floor after the construction.

Anyway, I hooked up the alternator and water pump this evening. I fulled the coolimg system up as well. I have the headers bolted up but haven't put the exhaust on yet.

The car fired right up. I only let it run for a few seconds because that thing is loud without a muffler.

The night is still young. I guess I'll throw the muffler back on so I can run the car a little longer.