Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traffic accident. Dashcam saves the day

VIN
    Blog Entries

Traffic accident. Dashcam saves the day

On the interstate I just merged on, some speed demon hauling a trailer sails by and almost rear ends a slow moving truck. I assume he just didn't want me in front of him. Anyway he stays there and as I pick up speed I move over to pass him and he decided to shut the door on me again. It was raining hard so instead of slamming brakes, I moved over to the rumble strip and backed off the gas but not before we touched mirrors. Keep in mind we are three abreast and I'm almost kissing the median catch fence. My mirror touches his and his breaks off. Mine is not damaged at all, not even folded back. He parks about 1/4 mile behind me and we wait on police. Police show up and the officer talks to him first which is perfect. Officer comes to me and says "what happened here because I'm really confused?" I say let's just watch the dashcam footage. He recorded it to his phone then procedes to talk to the other driver(who was in a company commercial van hauling a trailer). After awhile the other driver speeds off(I can tell he was pissed). Officer comes up to me and says here is your license and information and informs me my dashcam footage saved me because his story was a lot different from mine and my footage.
    He got a ticket which will no doubt put him in hot water with his employer and I will sing the praises of dashcams even more now.
    PS the officer was 100% professional in his demeanor and attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    On the interstate I just merged on, some speed demon hauling a trailer sails by and almost rear ends a slow moving truck. I assume he just didn't want me in front of him. Anyway he stays there and as I pick up speed I move over to pass him and he decided to shut the door on me again. It was raining hard so instead of slamming brakes, I moved over to the rumble strip and backed off the gas but not before we touched mirrors. Keep in mind we are three abreast and I'm almost kissing the median catch fence. My mirror touches his and his breaks off. Mine is not damaged at all, not even folded back. He parks about 1/4 mile behind me and we wait on police. Police show up and the officer talks to him first which is perfect. Officer comes to me and says "what happened here because I'm really confused?" I say let's just watch the dashcam footage. He recorded it to his phone then procedes to talk to the other driver(who was in a company commercial van hauling a trailer). After awhile the other driver speeds off(I can tell he was pissed). Officer comes up to me and says here is your license and information and informs me my dashcam footage saved me because his story was a lot different from mine and my footage.
    He got a ticket which will no doubt put him in hot water with his employer and I will sing the praises of dashcams even more now.
    PS the officer was 100% professional in his demeanor and attitude.

Awesome. What kind? Somebody bought me a Polaroid one and it's trash. There are shitty ones.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Blog Entries
    It's a pretty crappy cam. I got them for like 12 bucks each but it did the job. I am going to upgrade after this though.

I am waiting to catch some accident or other interesting video on my dash cam.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I am waiting to catch some accident or other interesting video on my dash cam.
    I have caught a few incidents. One where a woman ran a stop sign and almost t boned me. I was watching and swerved and locked the brakes. Another I had a school bus cross the double yellow around a curve and almost ran me off(sent that one to the school board and I got the number and school name on the bus) Never heard anything back but we did have a rash of DUI bus drivers and speeding accidents with injuries several months after that, maybe they should have taken my video seriously.
    Got a few more too. I mainly keep my cam in my work van since I rarely drive anything else but I also have a helmet cam for my bike.

VIN
    post the vid?

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    post the vid?
    Police advised against doing that. Told me to save it which I did. I am interested in seeing the police report though to see what the other guy had to say. I will pick it up Monday.
    Here is a screen shot. He didn't signal either.

SmartSelectImage_2018-06-16-07-14-50.jpg

VIN
    Yeah, Im sure thats gonna be a nice bit of fiction to read what he said happened...lol

VIN
    Amen.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Got my report emailed to me. It's been a long long time since I have seen an accident report. Last one I saw there was a written account of each story. This report had nothing but a diagram to what happened and a few lines of text and box checking. Oh well, likebI said no damage to my car so no need to worry about it.