Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of the trailer park and movin on up to a deluxe metal garage

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I've got two cement guys coming out tomorrow to give me a price on pouring a slab for this shed.
    BlueTruckSand2.jpgMixerInTruck.jpg

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...l=1#post195810

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...l=1#post197095

VIN
    Yeah. I remember Bill talking about that stuff. Freaking crazy if you as me.

For any of you that care, I'm looking at getting a 24' x 35' slab poured. In addition to this, there will be a small section of my driveway extended to the slab as well.

Anyway, two cement people came by. It is interesting how different people do things differently.

The first guy, Coco, wants to do 12" edges, 4" for the center and rebar. I have one corner that is just a little bit low. He said we won't have to bring in any extra dirt because of the 12" edges. The cost for his labor and materials is $3,200 plus 13 yards of cement. I have a feeling Coco runs a cash business so there won't be any sales tax. 12 yards of the cement will be for the slab and 1 yard of the cement will be for extending my driveway to the building. Cost for the cement is $108 per yard x 13 = $1404 plus 9% sales tax = $1,530. Grand total if I hire Coco would be $4,730.

The second guy, Greg, came by and wants to put some clay in that corner and then simply do a 4" slab with rebar. Greg and his assistant told me this would be fine for a lift He is supposed to have me a price on Monday. I asked Greg if I needed a higher psi of cement since he would only be doing 4" and he said 3,000 psi cement is all I need because of the rebar he will be using.

A third guy was going to come out today, but I have too much going on. One of our local Delorean owners, Jim Anthony, recently passed away and I'm going to the wake tonight.

I really want to hire Coco to do the work simply because I like his name, however it doesn't hurt to get another quote or two.

EDIT: I corrected the dimensions of the slab. My original post said the dimensions were 24" X 25". I corrected to say 24' X 35'.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    We are having our pool deck completely torn up, leveled and resurfaced with pavers. I'm waiting on an estimate now but I have pretty much decided to give the job to him simply because I like his attitude(and out of 4 people I called, he was the only one who even bothered to show up).

3000 PSI is correct with reinforcement ideally 5" thick. You can also contact lift companies for what they recommend for thickness and type of slab (see links below).
    The first estimate you got is for a grade beam slab where the edges are thicker and act as a footing. The second one is called a floating slab. You could have only the area where the lift will go be thicker to save some money. I have always gone with 4 1/2" without putting in a lift. Do your research so no regrets. Another suggestion build as big as you can because I have heard many say after their building is done and start to fill it up they wish they built it bigger. Good luck.

Here is some good reading info:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=conc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

VIN
    Went ahead and paid my deposit on the building yesterday. I'm getting a garage from Eagle Carports. Its the 24'x36' building I described earlier in this thread. The base of the building is one foot shorter than the roof, so the true dimensions are 24'x35'. The dealer I ordered from said I should have the building in about two weeks.

The second concrete guy, Greg, got back with me and his price was around $5,200.

I ended up hiring the third guy yesterday, Mr. Albert, the concrete pimp. For $5,000 he is going to remove the top soil, bring in a few loads of dirt, pour 12 inches of concrete on the edges, 4 inches in the center, and use 3,000 psi concrete with fiber and rebar. A lot of contractors in the area use his services and he mentioned that he thinks he poured the slab for my house. He plans to start work next week, weather permitting.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS81DMC View Post
    3000 PSI is correct with reinforcement ideally 5" thick. You can also contact lift companies for what they recommend for thickness and type of slab (see links below).
    The first estimate you got is for a grade beam slab where the edges are thicker and act as a footing. The second one is called a floating slab. You could have only the area where the lift will go be thicker to save some money. I have always gone with 4 1/2" without putting in a lift. Do your research so no regrets. Another suggestion build as big as you can because I have heard many say after their building is done and start to fill it up they wish they built it bigger. Good luck.

Here is some good reading info:

Thanks for the advice. My plan is to use the garage for just one vehicle, but I wanted to make sure I could fit four vehicles in there if needed. I did some measurements and what I have will fit in there so hopefully I will be good.

Whats funny is the Eagle Carport dealer I ordered from using a 20' wide building for her office. I thought the inside of that place was huge and its four feet shorter than what I am getting.

It is going to be a long time before I purchase a lift but I'm exited about the options. So far everything I have read says I need a 4" 3,000 psi slab, so I should be good.

I'm probably going to go with a regular 2 post lift, but I am curious about the Max Jax. Does anyone have any experience with it? I think I would be happier with a full lift, but the Max Jax looks appealing because of its small size and ease to move out of the way if needed. I just don't like how it only lifts a vehicle a few feet off the ground.

Fiber glass & rebar is perfect. Congrats.

There is a lot of info on the Max Jax at the following site. I think the lift is 48"

https://www.google.com/search?q=gara...hrome&ie=UTF-8

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Everyone on the DMC community has a Rolls these days except me. It's like I'm in 8th grade all over again and in a sea of Members Only jackets, I had the KMart knockoff "associates please" jacket.
    If you want a Rolls Royce, I can make you one heck of a deal.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    If you want a Rolls Royce, I can make you one heck of a deal.
    What Chad said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

VIN
    Excavation has begun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk