Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Out of the trailer park and movin on up to a deluxe metal garage

VIN

Out of the trailer park and movin on up to a deluxe metal garage

A few years back I started a project where I was going to enclose my carport into a garage. Long story short, it didn't happen.

Now I am seriously considering having a metal garage built. I've had two quotes so far and I am waiting on two more in the morning.

Right now I'm seriously considering a 24' X 36' (actual depth is 35') metal building with 12' walls. Two doors on the front will be 10' x 10' and there will be a 36" x 80" door on the side.

The building pictures is basically what I am planning to order, except the one pictured is 11' tall, Mine will be 12' tall. The exterior walls on the one pictured are vertical and mine will be horizontal. Not a bad deal at roughly $10k installed.

Of course, I'm going to have a slab poured as well and I expect that to be around $5k. Good times.

All-Vertical-Garage-12.jpg
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    I did a trial run by taking measurements in the yard and putting jack stands on the corners of where the building would be.

Not too bad. It looks like I could fit four vehicles in there.

Of course, I won't be storing that many cars in there. The plan is to keep the Delorean in the garage and to use the rest of the space for storage. Eventually I will put a lift in there.

It will be nice to install a sink too just so I can have a place to wash up before going inside the house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Nice!
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Nice!
    It ain't much compared to other garages but for a deplorable like me, it's going to be paradise.

Honestly I would build even larger, but concrete is freaking expensive.

The 12 foot ceiling will at least give me the room to build a small loft at the end of the garage.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Everyone on the DMC community has a Rolls these days except me. It's like I'm in 8th grade all over again and in a sea of Members Only jackets, I had the KMart knockoff "associates please" jacket.
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

Holy shit....a friggin' DeLorean!

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Holy shit....a friggin' DeLorean!
    Makes the Geo Metro look like a full size car.

VIN
    I went and looked at some metal framed buildings yesterday. Impressive buildings and I like the idea of metal construction. The sales person I spoke with said the materials are built in Houston and it takes about two weeks from order to installation. If she was telling the truth, that is very impressive. I'm planning to do a head gasket job this summer and it sure would be nice to be able to take the engine apart indoors.

I've got two cement guys coming out tomorrow to give me a price on pouring a slab for this shed. If only I didn't have a Rolls Royce in the way of where the building is going to go.

I'm tempted to order the metal framed building after I talk to the cement people tomorrow but I may hold off a few more days.

I am curious about having another company build the garage using a wood frame. This would make it easier for me to do stuff like install insulation/sheetrock and possibly build a loft.

Metal framing is good, but I would have to hire someone to spray insulation and I wouldn't have the wood frame to use for extra support for my loft.

Anyway, I'm just rambling about my trailer park dream come true. Its time to go to bed.

VIN
    Another interesting note, the builder told me I won't need any permits for this type of structure. I find it hard to believe. I'll see what the cement people think when I talk to them tomorrow.

I suppose I could go to the permit office and ask, but yeah, that might ruin a good thing if they start asking to many questions.

Make sure to tell the concrete guys that you may plan on installing a lift in the future so they give a correct estimate for pouring the correct strength and thickness of concrete. Concrete has different PSI strengths. Also check lift heights that you might install so you have enough height clearance. 12 feet should be enough but double check before you build. Congrats for you on the addition.