Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch Discussion Thread

That Tourbillon is mesmerizing to look at. Tell me more tell me more like does he have a car? I’m interested in whatever you have to say about them.

Lovely family treasure Gruen as well. They were a special milestone gift, werent they. Inscribed? Money no object Id love a Gruen Panamerican, but they are still pricey.

I’m too much a dumfuq to own anything nice yet. Going for low end and cheap. (Go ahead, take a shot.)

I do want a nice (or even non nice) Elgin trench watch ASAP. Pretty sure I’m going to overpay for a fake and have you all laugh at me.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    What's wrong with my Casio digital watch? Other than a small revision for indiglo in the 90's, its been the same design for the last 30 years. Its a timeless classic which can be had for less than $15.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    A Tourbillon is a masterpiece of visual aesthetics and precision. I know you know this but I have been a wristwatch fan for years and my dream to own such a complication was dashed by the price tag. Not very long ago, you couldn't touch one for under 20k, then the Chinese said "Ahhh so we gon get sum merican dollas" and they started making their own tourbillon designs to the dismay of snobs and aristocrats at pretty much every golf course and wine tasting room in the world. Now little peons like myself could have a beautiful and masterfully crafted complication just like the big boys. I imagine Ferrari guys feel the same when I roll up in a DeLorean that costs about what one of their belt services would cost and sop up all their attention.

The movement itself was invented back in the time when pocket watches were fashionable. It was made to counteract the effects of gravity on a watch that was always in one position. The design carried over to wristwatches around the 1960-70s as a way for rich people to flaunt their wealth because there is really no good practical reason to have such an expensive and complex movement on a watch that doesn't need it since it is subject to all manor of movement on a wrist vs. a pocket watch. I do love my tourby, it gets worn quite a bit and I have had this one for about 8 or 9 years. Still doing just fine.

15285798367711621401149.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    What's wrong with my Casio digital watch? Other than a small revision for indiglo in the 90's, its been the same design for the last 30 years. Its a timeless classic which can be had for less than $15.
    Nothing! 5 days out of the week I wear my Casio but every now and then a guy needs to douche.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Duplicate Account View Post
    It has been verified (although it took a lot of digital help) that the first time you see Sean Connery in 1962's "Dr. No"... that's right, he's wearing a Gruen dinner watch. And he continues to wear them periodically in a few Bond movies thereafter. Bond has worn a bunch of different watches, true, but as long as we're fantasizing, Gruen could have made it a point to become THE watch of Bond and realized that people would chase that connection.
    And in a strange coincidence, the woman featured in that scene, the very first Bond girl, died today.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/09/enter...ath/index.html

Getting banged by Sean Connery adds years to your life.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Blog Entries
    The new DeLorean watch is an $8.00 movement sold to suckers for over $100.00; you can buy a mechanically-identical watch for $20.

Screenshot_20180609-211100.jpg
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    The new DeLorean watch is an $8.00 movement sold to suckers for over $100.00; you can buy a mechanically-identical watch for $20.

Screenshot_20180609-211100.jpg
    I can't read the attachment, it's too small. Not that I doubt it, nobody thinks DMCH employed a watchmaker's guild to make in house movements. Low cost Japanese ones will do for fanbois just fine. What you are buying is the window dressing, which is what most of us buy anyway. My only complaint was that the option to personalize the dial with the VIN would have been nice, as it would be a direct tie to the car.

Today up for discussion is my newly purchased Paketa "Big Zero" watch. From the Soviet Union in the 1980s. $30. I had to put on the band. Yes, I chose white. You got a problem with that?

Paketa.watch.1.JPG
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I can't read the attachment, it's too small. Not that I doubt it, nobody thinks DMCH employed a watchmaker's guild to make in house movements. Low cost Japanese ones will do for fanbois just fine. What you are buying is the window dressing, which is what most of us buy anyway. My only complaint was that the option to personalize the dial with the VIN would have been nice, as it would be a direct tie to the car.

Today up for discussion is my newly purchased Paketa "Big Zero" watch. From the Soviet Union in the 1980s. $30. I had to put on the band. Yes, I chose white. You got a problem with that?

Paketa.watch.1.JPG
    I dig it! Very iPhoneish. If I ever get another old watch, it's going to be a old LED from the 70's. Maybe a Hamilton or a Pulsar or something in that 100 to 125 range.

VIN
    Blog Entries

Paketa.watch.1.JPG
    Follow this link, then.

http://www.allwatchparts.com/MIYOTA-...nt_p_1296.html
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

VIN
    Blog Entries
    My only complaint was that the option to personalize the dial with the VIN would have been nice, as it would be a direct tie to the car.
    Unimaginative bastards

20180610_203157.jpg