Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch Discussion Thread

Watch Discussion Thread

With DMCH introducing its line of watches, I was wondering if anyone had gotten one yet. I assume they are Chinese. Not that such a thing is bad, of course the Chinese make some good quality, and if you buy a Michael Kors, or "style" watch, you are getting just that: a branded watch with a lot of Chinese content.

I am interested in any productive discussion on them. https://dmc-watch.com/

Meanwhile, as a lot of people in the D community know, a watch with real ties to Delorean design is the Giugiaro Seiko that has been in production for decades. The original run, worn by Sigourney Weaver in Aliens, is now a $1,000 watch. Seiko reissued the watch a few years ago at the $300 mark. They also have other Guigiaro styled watches. Can it be a coincidence that the designation of the watches begin with the letters "SCED"? The back plate of the watches is almost the coolest part.

https://www.seiyajapan.com/products/...cycle-riders-1

I stopped wearing a watch long ago, but as I mentioned in another thread, after I got my Dad's old Seiko, I started getting a little wistful about it. I can't bring myself to take the links out of the band so I can wear so I'll leave it as it is for now. However, I am getting into a vintage brand that I am pretty excited about, and I'll share more about that later.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

Looks like there is more info than I thought. Miyota (Japanese) movement, which is manufactured by Citizen.

http://www.thewatchblog.co.uk/hands-...atches-review/
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

Administrator
    VIN
    A watch discussion thread is moot for a bunch of thuggish rednecks who don't know how to tell time....HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    A watch discussion thread is moot for a bunch of thuggish rednecks who don't know how to tell time....HA!

Its becoming moot for everyone. Make a mental note of who you see wearing one... and even if they are wearing one, young people are all about the smart watches or fit bits.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Wrist watches are for losers who need some unique "conversation starter" straped to their wrist to flaunt in front of people they don't have the balls to strike up a conversation with. Others will wear some hoity toity tourbillion so they can say "I'm better than you" without having to say anything...because they are too good to speak to you. Then there are the ones who will actually go so far as to make their own DeLorean watch instead of buying the ready made DMCH offerings because God forbid they lower themselves to the "commoner" DMC watch. Damn racists.

It wouldn't be so bad but these types are usually so devilishly handsome and witty that they are the life of the party anyway, pulling numbers like they were giving away a vacation. They wear a fancy watch just to go overkill, leaving lesser mortals in the corner with their old Seikos mumbling something about owning a DeLorean but they drove a Previa because it gets better mileage.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Wrist watches are for losers who need some unique "conversation starter" straped to their wrist to flaunt in front of people they don't have the balls to strike up a conversation with. Others will wear some hoity toity tourbillion so they can say "I'm better than you" without having to say anything...because they are too good to speak to you. Then there are the ones who will actually go so far as to make their own DeLorean watch instead of buying the ready made DMCH offerings because God forbid they lower themselves to the "commoner" DMC watch. Damn racists.

It wouldn't be so bad but these types are usually so devilishly handsome and witty that they are the life of the party anyway, pulling numbers like they were giving away a vacation. They wear a fancy watch just to go overkill, leaving lesser mortals in the corner with their old Seikos mumbling something about owning a DeLorean but they drove a Previa because it gets better mileage.

LOL...awesome!

(*strapped.)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post

(*strapped.)
    Oh ewe!

Nothing says "I'm an old man with socks and sandals and I smell like preparation H" more than collecting old watches! So let's talk about some watch bullshit!

A lot of people believe that Delorean Motor Corporation could have been saved by the BTTF series of movies. One watch company could make a similar claim. That company is Gruen. I bought this one and when it came my wife liked it so much she commandeered it. Nice 1950s watch, works great. My most expensive watch to date at a whopping $75.

Gruen.Watch.1.JPG

It really is nice. (Just keep in mind that watches in the 1950s are smaller than the giganto-stainless watches dudes wear today.) And the movement is the same as a Rolex of the era... they were the same Swiss supplier. The watches were cased in Cincinnati.
    So what movie series could Gruen have been saved by? Bond. James Bond. It has been verified (although it took a lot of digital help) that the first time you see Sean Connery in 1962's "Dr. No"... that's right, he's wearing a Gruen dinner watch. And he continues to wear them periodically in a few Bond movies thereafter. Bond has worn a bunch of different watches, true, but as long as we're fantasizing, Gruen could have made it a point to become THE watch of Bond and realized that people would chase that connection. People like identify with celebrity, go figure.

So what happened to Gruen? They were selling an expensive watch, and faced with post war competition, the family cashed out in the early 1950s. The new CEO promptly drove the company into the ground, sold off it's "Time Hill" Tudor Factory in Cincinatti, moved operations to New York and destroyed all the records. The company went tits up in 1958. Nearly 100 years of watchmaking history gone. This ended the conductibility of Gruens relative to other brands like Rolex... who, by the way, bought up all Gruen's Swiss assets. Consequently, you can get on Ebay and get a nice, old Gruen for chump change.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Blog Entries
    20180609_140628.jpg

This was my Grandfather's Gruen. I believe he got it as a retirement gift from Eastman. I dug it out of my father's house and polished the crystal(was so opaque you couldn't read it). I put a cheap strap on it and wear it from time to time.
    I need to have it serviced and oiled and the crown for the alarm needs to be replaced.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Wrist watches are for losers who need some unique "conversation starter" straped to their wrist to flaunt in front of people they don't have the balls to strike up a conversation with. Others will wear some hoity toity tourbillion so they can say "I'm better than you" without having to say anything...because they are too good to speak to you.
    BTW, have you seen my latest conversation starter?

Have you seen my Tourbillon?