Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Watch Discussion Thread

Nice collection, shit picture. You will immediately supply information on the indicated watches, to include brand, year, how acquired, any interesting story and order of preference!!!!

Chads.Watches.jpg
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Duplicate Account View Post
    Nice collection, shit picture. You will immediately supply information on the indicated watches, to include brand, year, how acquired, any interesting story and order of preference!!!!

Chads.Watches.jpg
    Somehow I have a feeling that Chad will have no problem fulfilling your desires.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duplicate Account View Post

Chads.Watches.jpg
    1. Gold-tone Waltham 25 Automatic (self-winding) watch. The silver version of this was featured in the TV show "Dexter" and, for a year, selling refurbished silver versions was my primary source of income. Due to the TV connection, a silver one goes for around $300; that one, I bought for $15.00 as a parts watch, but it's nearly flawless so I just wear it. (Picture is a silver one from the internet.)

dscf4843.jpg

2. Elgin Executive - skeleton movement with exhibition back. A gift from my father as a high school graduation present; a beautiful watch and one of my favorites for daily wear, but difficult to read from 11 to1.

medium_224368944-elgin-executive-swiss-open-heart-watch-on-bracelet-250-pp-d-and-shipped.jpg

3. Cheap 24-hour watch I got from Sportsman's Guide, but worked fine in Iraq.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...BoCi3EQAvD_BwE

4. '70s red digital watch; cost over $700 new, got it for $5.00 without a band at a Goodwill.

5. Lord Elgin watch I found in a dollar bin at a flea market.

6. Older Timex wound watch I got from my 91-year-old neighbor who was given it by his mother. Sentimental, but too big of a band to wear.

s-l300.jpg

7. '40s Lord Elgin I was given by a coworker when I worked for the county. Looks terrible, works great. I use it as a "work watch" when doing yardwork.

8. Another Lord Elgin; my best condition and a favorite dress watch. I tried to take a better photo:

20180629_230121.jpg

Now, my pocketwatches are the most interesting part of my collection.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."

Elgin Aviga 1.jpg

After the above purchase, for the first time in my life, I went to a watch repair shop. It was everything I hoped it would be. Off a main street and downstairs into a musty basement. I walk into a small standing room area. A string attached to the front door let the man in back know I was there. "Be out in a minute!" I look around and there is shit everywhere: books and boxes and old clocks and unrelated garbage piles in different corners of the room. Out comes Mr. Dietzel and he is about a million years old, wearing glasses that have glasses that have glasses. I plop down my little 1920s Elgin Avigo that I bought nonworking from Ebay. Right there he popped it open and examined it for a good 25 minutes. In the end he said, "Wants to run. Has some ailments. Escapement problems. I can't do the work, I'll have to give it to someone else. I have too much on my bench. But I'd estimate $450." This is not feasible as it puts me upside down on the watch. I offer to pay for his time, he refuses, I say I'll think about it and come back with other watches. I left thinking that you'd have to be pretty eccentric to do this kind of work.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Ouch! Well you wear a watch like that to distinguish yourself, not to tell time. If anyone asks, just act like you are reading a text, get the time, look at your watch, repeat said time. A small price to pay to be seen as an interesting and unique gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Ouch! Well you wear a watch like that to distinguish yourself, not to tell time. If anyone asks, just act like you are reading a text, get the time, look at your watch, repeat said time. A small price to pay to be seen as an interesting and unique gentleman.
    I often do the same with books. It's all about pretension when it comes to this Duplicate Account. Nobody has ever actually read James Joyce!

It's a new pay week so I get to buy a few more cheap junkers. Yesterday I got this 100 year old Waltham. Some tiny hairlines in the enamel dial. No sub second hand, but it is keeping great time. $30/ebay.
    IMG_0095.jpg
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru