Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Watch Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    I just got a new phone (Samsung Note 8), I know it's a year old but I don't need the latest and greatest so I think I will dust off my old smart watch and put it back into service. I bought it like 3 years ago and stopped wearing it and I really don't know why. It worked great and it was one of the few watches on the market that took pictures and video. Made answering calls and texts while working a breeze.

Does the Note8 support Dex? I have an S8 for my work phone and that one does. It's a lot more useful than I thought it'd be.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I don't know what Dex is
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

Dex is a dongle, docking pad or cable that allows you to output your phone to a monitor, and connect a keyboard and mouse. On your phone you still see your normal phone, but on the monitor you see a desktop GUI, and chrome, MS Office and a bunch of other apps behave as if you're on a desktop. The dongle/replicator version is like 45 bucks. I ended up using my phone to build a presentation for work when I had no access to my laptop and wish I'd had one of those then.

One of my co-workers uses one and on many days is able to use it as his only device. It supports RDP and SSH client ts so we can connect to servers or a Windows desktop. For the cost, well worth it in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by sedated View Post
    Dex is a dongle, docking pad or cable that allows you to output your phone to a monitor, and connect a keyboard and mouse. On your phone you still see your normal phone, but on the monitor you see a desktop GUI, and chrome, MS Office and a bunch of other apps behave as if you're on a desktop. The dongle/replicator version is like 45 bucks. I ended up using my phone to build a presentation for work when I had no access to my laptop and wish I'd had one of those then.

One of my co-workers uses one and on many days is able to use it as his only device. It supports RDP and SSH client ts so we can connect to servers or a Windows desktop. For the cost, well worth it in my opinion.
    I just checked. Note8 does support it.

https://www.samsung.com/us/business/...le/phones/dex/

VIN
    Blog Entries
    One of the things I like about my old smart watch is the camera but I also love this watch face which has an "always on" option so no disappearing when not in use. It kills the battery, I get about 9 or 10 hours but who cares, it charges in 30 minutes.

15503649135325352388711870549427.jpg
    Starvation, overpopulation, pollution, global warming, communisim,...all DMCTalk.com's fault

My rule is that if I want a new watch, I have to sell one first.

Thus, the Gruen Pan Am had to go. A great 1944 flight watch, but I didn't wear it. I am giving buyer an additional Pan Am for parts to keep him happy. But people are such piss ants these days, who knows.

Pan Ams.jpg

I went ahead and ordered the replacement. And, surprisingly, it's a Quartz: the Japanese Market Guigaro SCED041. It must be that the boys at Seiko have always been Delorean fans to have the reference mirror our VINs. The original gray one seen in Aliens is **pricey** as are the reissues so I am going for this particular black and white model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0xvBhxKHX4

It's no DMC watch with Miyota movement, but oh well
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Damn I really like that! I think you should hang on to that one when you get it. I never noticed it in the movie but it's been at least 2 decades since I watched it. To be honest the dial isn't that attractive but that square pusher housing sells it

Be sure to post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Damn I really like that! I think you should hang on to that one when you get it. I never noticed it in the movie but it's been at least 2 decades since I watched it. To be honest the dial isn't that attractive but that square pusher housing sells it

Be sure to post pics.
    There are many different versions, not all of them readily available. (And some like the Hulk version are $$$) To see some variety, search Seiko SCED on ebay. These are almost all Japanese market sourced and not on the Seiko USA site.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

It came today. I'm not even going to try to rotate these pictures, so sorry if they are askew. Fresh from Japan...

Seiko 1.jpg

The watch back, the coolest thing about the watch to be honest. As you can see, this particular model is limited to 2000 and that's it. (Mine is number 0543.) Rolex owners say things like, "Oh, my bluesy is one of 5000 in this particular configuration." So, damn. This is some serious exclusivity for a cheap watch! I'll be sure to never see another one in the wild.

seiko guigaro design 0543.jpg

Gripes: get your fingernails out to pull the crown and set the time, you'll need them. Biggest complaint is that the hands are black and most of the dial is black. Holy legibility, Batman. This dial is available in reverse colors (with a more Delorean matching gray steel metal band) so that might be a better choice legibility wise. There's the date window on the right side, not sure that my eyes will be good enough to actually read it. For whatever reason, this one spoke to me. probably because it is the SCED041 and my VIN ends in 041. Yeah, I'm silly like that. I'll let you know how it wears, because I either have to get it sized for my beta manlet wrists or put it on a black rubber strap. More importantly, being a real Guigaro watch, does it pass the Chad sniff test?

Seiko SCED041.jpg
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

Can we please allow more time for post edits?

The SCED039 is the one in reverse colors. I'm tempted to sell another watch to pick it up...

https://www.shoppinginjapan.net/sced039
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru