Thread: My D won't start....

VIN

My D won't start....

I have owned my D for almost 3 years and today is the first time it has given me any real trouble.

The car was running well on my usual Friday Club outing but as usual the air-conditioning was switching on and off every 10 to 20 seconds (an issue I have had for a while)

Suddenly I noticed the tach flicked up then jump back as the conditioner turned on and off. I got the car home, turned off the engine then tried to restart but nothing – it was dead, wouldn’t even crank over.

I left it for a few hours to cool and tried again but again nothing. On ignition I could briefly get dash and head lights but no cranking. I checked the fuse box but all seemed ok with nothing hot, melted or broken and the engine compartment also seemed fine.

The battery should be OK as I keep it on trickle charge all the time the car is not in use.

Any suggestions as to where to look and what the problem might be would be gratefully received.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    First thought is the rpm relay. Jump it and see what happens.

VIN
    What am I looking for?

So your starter is not even cranking the engine over? What is your VIN? The early VINs need a change to the starter relay.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    Blog Entries
    My bad, I didn't see the part about the starter not engaging. Start at the battery and mame sure your posts are tight. Do the same for the starter.

Like Dave said, the starter relay update comes to mind.

Other things
    Neutral safety switch, try that first since it's the easiest.
    Tap the starter with a wood handle

VIN
    Thanks for your response Dave, my VIN is 2065

VIN
    Thank you for responding, much appreciated.

I discounted the battery at first because it did not explain the flickering tach needle as the air conditioning turned on and off. On reflection the fact I could barely get the lights to come on indicates not enough cranking power in the battery.

See how I go...

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    My bad, I didn't see the part about the starter not engaging. Start at the battery and mame sure your posts are tight. Do the same for the starter.

Other things

VIN
    Spot on Sir...

Tried a quick jump start but no luck. Went to the battery, cleaned and tightened the terminal posts as well as checked the jump start post in the engine bay and bang off she went..... I'm even getting an extra volt reading on the dash meter.

Now I will try and solve the air conditioning/relay, On/Off issue

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post

Other things
    Thank you David M and Dead Lesbian Goat (??????, sorry don't know your real name)
    Really appreciate your responses

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Your ac kicking on and off intermittently is normal, it does this to keep the evaporator from freezing up. This was of course back in the good old days of r-12. To set the pressure switch correctly you will need a set of gauges and insure the system is correctly charged and in working order(and knowledge of your complete system function). You can do a lot of damage to the car and yourself if you get crossed up.

With 134a having the switch set to run the compressor a little more consistantly is ok...basically as long as the evap is not freezing up and your high side is OK then it should be fine. I switched to 134 last year a d I have mine set about 15 seconds at speed and it will stay engaged at idle. Worked fine all last year with cold air and no freezing.

VIN
    Thank you for your help. I might get this issue in front of an AC expert