Thread: Carrier Hub Question

VIN

Carrier Hub Question

Hey guys -

As some of you know, I have been spending this winter rebuilding my rear suspension. Now that I have all of the parts back from being cleaned up I am ready for things to go back together. Though I have a question....

1. My rear hub carriers have new bearings pressed in. How do I get the outer drive shaft back in without destroying the new bearings? Does it need to be pressed in using a hydraulic press or is there a do-it-yourself way in which I can accomplish this at home?

Thanks for all of your help!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

I've not replaced a rear bearing yet but I would think it would not require a press to install the shaft. The front just pull off unless the bearing has frozen on the shaft.

If it does need a press, you would need to support the center "race" as you press it in.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    I used a press on mine, supporting the inner race of the bearing from below while pressing the half shaft from the top. Some pics of the process in my album on DMCTalk here:

http://dmctalk.org/album.php?albumid=170

Here's one of the better pics showing the press operation. The ring on the bottom is part of a ball joint press kit you can rent for free at autozone and a few other auto parts stores. It's the same size as the bearing inner race so the force on the part won't be stressing the bearing or hub as the shaft is pressed in.
    HC15.jpg

VIN
    Here's one showing just the lower ring that supported the bearing

HC13.jpg

VIN
    Thanks for the responses. I ended up taking them in and getting them pressed in so that I didnt have to purchase a press. They turned out well, and I am starting to put things back together now.

Thanks!
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....