Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a stunning new watch

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries

Got a stunning new watch

Xeric Soloscope limited edition. I knew what I was buying but I was not expecting to be stunned by it. Looks like some ultra expensive complication that rich guys wear to the Barrett Jackson auction. It's huge! Very thick and clunky with a bit of weight to it which is just what I like in a watch like this. May sell a few of my older watches because this thing will kick them out of the rotation. No matter how I tried, I couldn't get the pics to do it justice. Almost every surface has a different gunmetal tone that catches the light at different times and gives a beautiful look. The crystal wraps around both sides and there is even a window on the case to see some of the dual balance automatic movement. The movement itself is nothing to write home about, but the whole package is just gorgeous.

20180108_182829.jpg
    20180108_182805.jpg
    20180108_181745.jpg

VIN
    Neat..steampunkish. How much it cost?

Administrator
    VIN
    Super cool.

My wife prefers that [all] men wear watches, and has given me attitude for not wearing one.

I really need to get with the friggin' program b4 she goes stalking my friends list & spots Michael wearing that badass mamba jamba.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Neat..steampunkish. How much it cost?
    It was on sale for 300 which was supposedly 50% off. I bet if I go back to the site the regular price will be 309.00 or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Super cool.

My wife prefers that [all] men wear watches, and has given me attitude for not wearing one.

I really need to get with the friggin' program b4 she goes stalking my friends list & spots Michael wearing that badass mamba jamba.
    I'll try to let her down gently.

VIN
    dang.. $300...my car would get pissed if I spent that on a watch rather than needed parts..lol

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    dang.. $300...my car would get pissed if I spent that on a watch rather than needed parts..lol
    Then you definately don't want to see my Tourbillon.

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    I'll try to let her down gently.
    Hahaha....I don't think you have anything to worry about.....I'm the one that'll have to hear: "See that guy right there? HE'S wearing a nice watch.....you should too!"

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Then you definately don't want to see my Tourbillon.

Yeah, a watch with a comma in the price is where I draw the line...lol

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Hey, Michael, can you recommend a reasonably-priced Rolex? I had a '55 Oyster, but the leather band wasn't to my taste.

Preferably, something less expensive than my Corvette.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Hey, Michael, can you recommend a reasonably-priced Rolex? I had a '55 Oyster, but the leather band wasn't to my taste.

Preferably, something less expensive than my Corvette.
    I actually can't because I really don't like Rolex. IMO pretty much all Rolex watches look the same with no real difference and I never really liked their styling either. I think they are bland and lack character, almost like they expect the name to carry the watch rather than let the watch speak for itself.

For me a watch doesn't need to be expensive nor it does it matter if it's mechanical or quartz, it just needs to be a watch. If you need to glue 5k worth of diamonds around the bezel to make it more expensive then you are out of ideas. A watch needs to stand on its own without any fluff. I like interesting "conversation starters" and I like mechanical watches as long as the movement is nice looking and visible from the dial. The more complex the better(hence my love of complications).
    In the end, if a watch really speaks to you then buy it. One of my lesser favs is the Bulgari Carbongold. A simple quartz movement with no real following, but I like them so don't let public perception of one watch or another keep you from wearing what you want(that includes me and my disdain of Rolex).

If you really want some bang for the buck and like Rolex's style, look at the older Tissot T12 line of watches. They have excellent movements(both quartz and mechanical) and have a very "Rolexey" look to them. Nice older models range from a few hundred to a few thousand and it will keep up with the big dogs.

If you are looking for economical accuracy, a 200.00 Seiko will never let you down and lose/gain maybe a few seconds a year.
    Better yet get an atomic watch that zeros itself by receiving the radio signal once a day from the atomic clock (in Colorado I think). Accuracy of the atomic clock is like 1/9,000,000 of a second or something astronomical like that. In other words, over 1 million years will pass before it loses 1 full second.