Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OUTATIME: Saving the Delorean Time Machine

OUTATIME: Saving the Delorean Time Machine

Since it was free on Hulu, I watched. A few things surprised me: they worked hard on the resto, but did NOT take the tub off the frame. They also never showed the frame itself. For as much work as they put into it, I would have thought a thorough frame exam/cleaning/paint was in order.

Second, I am sure driver's side door had markings under the headliner, ("cave paintings") but they then signed the car by writing over whatever was there.

Third, I am surprised that I have become such a bore that I would care.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Weirdo.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Restoration team member here, just noticed this post.

It was Universal's intention to display the car as a non running museum piece so the mechanical components of the car were not brought back to running/driving condition. The car was drained of fluids and prepped as if it were going into long term storage. Everything else was made cosmetically presentable and the frame was restored to ensure structural longevity of the car. The front of the frame also has a large tow bar attached to it (used during filming) which was removed, restored and reinstalled.

From a documentary standpoint the focus was on the Time Machine aspect of the rest of the car, but most of the DeLorean itself was completely restored including the the interior which was stripped and redone with original parts. The seats, dash, binnacle, carpets, etc were replaced with NOS or good condition original parts so the underlying DeLorean beneath all the props would be screen accurate.

Most of the people who worked on the restoration signed the inside of the driver's door but all of the original cave paintings were left intact.

Hope that answers some of your questions :-)

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    I have never watched that doc, maybe I need to soon. Sounds interesting.

On another note, I really need to pull my headliner to see what other cave paintings are in there. It was refurbed by DMC in 2006 so surely the builders left a note or 2. I found a doozy in the left fender a few years ago.

VIN
    The version on Hulu is the full hour long version which I highly recommend. There is also a 15 minute featurette version of the documentary on the 30th anniversary edition blu-ray.

The full version doc is also available on stand alone blu-ray / DVD that includes a follow up segment on the car being relocated from its initial home at Universal Studios to the Petersen Automotive Museum. There are also some deleted scenes and other bonus features that are worth watching if you're interested learning more about the restoration.

Steve Concotelli is the creator/producer/editor behind the project and is a Wisconsin native (as am I). I think it's important to try and support independent filmmakers of all kinds so if you happen to watch the film on Hulu and enjoy it I would also invite you to support his hard work by picking up a copy of the blu-ray and getting those bonus features. The few bucks to pick up a hard copy with the extra content is well worth the price.

www.outatimemovie.com

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Some of the most profound documentaries I have watched (and I have seen a few) have been from independent filmmakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Restoration team member here, just noticed this post.

It was Universal's intention to display the car as a non running museum piece so the mechanical components of the car were not brought back to running/driving condition. The car was drained of fluids and prepped as if it were going into long term storage. Everything else was made cosmetically presentable and the frame was restored to ensure structural longevity of the car. The front of the frame also has a large tow bar attached to it (used during filming) which was removed, restored and reinstalled.

From a documentary standpoint the focus was on the Time Machine aspect of the rest of the car, but most of the DeLorean itself was completely restored including the the interior which was stripped and redone with original parts. The seats, dash, binnacle, carpets, etc were replaced with NOS or good condition original parts so the underlying DeLorean beneath all the props would be screen accurate.

Most of the people who worked on the restoration signed the inside of the driver's door but all of the original cave paintings were left intact.

Hope that answers some of your questions :-)
    Do you have pics of the original cave paintings, if any?
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    There are several quick shots during the documentary that show the signatures being added to the driver's side door. You can see the original markings still present there including "VIN 5261". I'll see if I can get a few screen grabs and post them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    There are several quick shots during the documentary that show the signatures being added to the driver's side door. You can see the original markings still present there including "VIN 5261". I'll see if I can get a few screen grabs and post them.
    I did note those scenes. I was wondering if you or anyone had documented any cave paintings in photos not shown in the doc?
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    The restoration was extensively documented so I'm sure someone has more photos of the inside of the doors I don't have any photos myself showing the cave paintings so you'd have to ask on the Time Machine Restoration facebook page. One of the admins there can dig through the archives to find something for you if you're really interested.