Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1269's Getting Stolen From Me

VIN

1269's Getting Stolen From Me

This has to be the most heartbreaking thing I've ever went through. I've gotten really really attached to DeLores, and now I'm losing her.

I bought and paid for that car with MY money! The license bureau fucked up when I went to change the title over and now my mother technically owns my car. She's made it clear she won't give it back either. It's TOD'd to me, but it'd be sold off before then.

Is there any way I can fight this and possibly win? That car means the world to me.
    Angela N.
    Proud owner of "DeLores"- VIN 1269

If you have one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you're pissing all over today. Unless, of course, you have two feet in a DeLorean.

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    What kind if mother do you have?

Yes you can fight this. Definately get a notorized letter from the seller for starters. Did you pay cash or check? Where did the check originate from, your own account? Get the record and hopefully you still have the cashiers check stub.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I messaged our resident lawyer, maybe he can give you some sound advice

VIN
    I paid cash. Chad can vouch for the fact that I bought the car from him.
    Angela N.

If you have one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you're pissing all over today. Unless, of course, you have two feet in a DeLorean.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully Josh can gove you some insight soon. I take it your mother hates you? Why is she doing this?

VIN
    Blog Entries
    You original post says the car is titled to you correct?

VIN
    My name was first on the title, yes. My mother conveniently added her name after it before I was able to get it changed over. She used the excuse of "insurance purposes". I guess that was misinterpreted at the license bureau because of my age. I was only 18 at the time, and apparently like many others, they figured it was mommy's car.

And, yes I am not liked. I'd be happy to PM you if you'd like the whole story.
    Angela N.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I am curious indeed. If your name is on the title as a owner then she can not legally sell it without your signature on the title. She is a co owner. You will probably need to take legal action to get her name off.

My number 1 rule is never trust family...ever.

PS she can not "legally" change the title (like add her name) without your consent. If she did then she is guilty of fraud. You really need to contact a lawyer and maybe even write out the entire story and leave nothing out so you can be prepared for your first consult with him/her.

The car in your possession now I hope. Hide it, keep her from getting to it till this is resolved.

VIN
    This may or may not apply to your state: does the title have an "AND" or "OR" between both of your names on the title? Which one is listed first?

Some states don't bother using either and it often defaults to AND. With AND or typically if neither word is listed, both parties have to agree to any changes, like selling it.

With OR, either party can sell the car or make a change to the title. You would need to re-title it before she does in this case. Even if you don't have the physical title, go to the DMV to verify. Then re-title in your name if you can.

I'm trying to figure out Missouri DMV rules now. Sometimes the first name listed makes a difference in some states.

VIN
    Missouri's DMV website is not entirely clear. It reads like both parties must agree to any changes (selling) including dropping a co-owner. I did find other states where either party can change the title or sell the car, which was a surprise to me.

I read above where you said your name is listed first on the title. I would go to the DMV, act like the only owner with no story about your mother, and get a duplicate title. Then see if they will re-title it in your name only. If they won't do it for you, they won't do it for her. Then you have a stalemate but are protected somewhat.

In this case, she would have to forge your signature on her own paper copy of the title to sell it out from under you.