Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Television options

I don't like wall mounted TVs. Personal preference. Every once in a while, a room needs to be rearranged. I also don't like Roku anymore, as it is more set up to charge for this and that. Some stuff that Roku wants money for is free if you just use the netflix/Hulu/amazon app from a Smart TV with the built-in software.

Used furniture is worth chewed food. That's good and bad. The good part is that you can visit C/L free section and find something nice to put your new TV on top of. We found a huge solid-cherry cabinet on C/L for free. Parents of the guy getting rid of it had it built in Japan in the 1940s. All we had to do was pick it up and use our meager muscles to lift it. It was heavy as SHIT. We love it.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

If you have small kids, putting the TV on the wall stops all the fingerprints on the screen. Also safer in that nobody can tip is over. Also better to have the TV high if you have progressive glasses (us old folks).
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If you have small kids, putting the TV on the wall stops all the fingerprints on the screen. Also safer in that nobody can tip is over. Also better to have the TV high if you have progressive glasses (us old folks).
    Had a friend who had a wall mount installed by a coworker (not me!). I'm guessing not well, because after a day, you can guess what happened. And a good laugh was had by all. Or not.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

I have a wall mount in my bedroom, but a solid wood stand in my livingroom. I use a ShieldTV. It's small, silent, runs Android TV and has the same processor as the new Nintendo Switch, so it's powerful. If you're a gamer it's awesome for that because it plays Android games, plus games NVidia set up just for the Shield. It can also stream games from a desktop PC.

I use Sling TV and netflix, etc through it. It does it all flawlessly, including streaming from my media server in the smart closet. My plasma TV gave out last spring so I bought a new QLED TV from Samsung. It's so thin, and has a beautiful picture. It does have smart TV features but I don't need them. My Shield does all that. So does the xbox one, the bluray player, etc. Everything does it these days.

Again though, the ShieldTV was my favorite purchase from this year. Such a well made little unit. Even the control and gamepad that it came with are solidly built.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Since my TV isn't working, I'm going to see if I can pull the old picture tube out and replace it with a similar-sized flat screen. Modern TVs just lack style.

20171204_222223.jpg
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

"Count of Islandia; Colonel of the Defense Forces and Chancellor of Transportation."