Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DCS Proposed for Chicago

VIN
    Blog Entries

DCS Proposed for Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Rich W.
    Status of DCS 2018, as of October 15, 2017
    DeLorean Owners, Fans and Enthusiasts,

Thanks for your interest about the status of DCS 2018. At this time, DCS 2018 is still actively being planned.

Unfortunately, due to a number of "Life Events", the core DCS Planning Team has been reduced substantially
    and the remaining team members have additional commitments, reducing their available spare time. With this
    in mind, there has been significant delays in reaching our contract signing milestones, but progress is still
    being made, and our hope is to have 1 or more contracts signed (at least a Facility Contract) by end of Oct.

Tentative contracts were initially drawn up in May/June 2017 and on-going negotiations have been productive
    in reducing both overall event costs and level of commitments (our minimum Food & Beverage Commitments).
    We have selected the location for DCS 2018 and it will be in the Chicago area, from August 15 - 19, 2018.
    Until at least a Facility Contract is signed, we do not plan to announce the location to the public, yet.

New for 2018, Wednesday, Aug. 15 we plan a Full Day, Hands-On, Tech Day at a nearby auto restoration shop.
    Depending upon a number of other factors, we may limit the Chris Nicholson stainless steel demonstrations
    to this Tech Day, since Chris has expressed an interest in attending all DCS Events on all the other days.
    So, keep this SS Demo limitation in mind, if you want to see Chris do some of his stainless steel magic.

Similar to DCS 2016, most of the Events and Displays will be indoors and air-conditioned, from the DeLoreans
    on display, to the Museum and Vendors. Vendors will be able to display and sell their wares on Thursday, Friday
    and Saturday, with the only limitation being no merchandise sales during the evening dinners from 6pm to 8pm.
    Similar to DCS 2016, the Vendor Rooms will be adjacent to the Banquet Hall, where the dinners are each night.

With less planning and managing staff, the DCS Planning Team has decided to incorporate some "off the shelf"
    online tools to help with the Event and Dinner Registrations, as well as the management of other activities.
    Although we will attempt to keep as many event costs as low as possible, we do anticipate an increase in the
    Event Registration itself, for the costs covered by previous DeLorean Raffle Cars fundraising for DCS 2016.

While Registration costs will increase, we will be removing the previous minimum one dinner commitment, so if
    you want to attend all the DCS activities except the dinners (with Keynote Speakers), that will be an option.
    We have negotiated an "initial" Hotel Room Block for $99/night, with a block of rooms more recently upgraded
    and refurbished, available for $119/night. Hint: Most of our VIP Guests will be in these $119/night rooms.

Our invitation list for BTTF VIPs is somewhat "ambitious" and Bob Gale has been a big part of that "ambition".
    Most of the working BTTF actors may not be able to confirm until 3 - 6 months before our event, so we plan to
    announce the confirmed BTTF VIP Guests (Cast and Crew) as they are able to commit to appear. We have a few
    returning BTTF VIPs and some new BTTF VIPs on our list, including at least one Academy Award Winning person.

Our invitation list for DMC VIPs is also a bit ambitious, with Tamir Ardon assisting Matt Sommer in compiling
    an impressive "Wish List" of DMC VIPs that we will invite. If everyone on our VIP List attends, then DCS 2018
    will be an event Not to be missed. We plan one or more automotive designers making DeLorean Presentations,
    and we plan to have both some new DMC VIPs and QAC POGs, and several returning DMC VIPs and QAC POGs.

Tamir has promised a special screening of his JZD Documentary that is due to be released in 2018. Regardless of
    whether the movie is released in the Spring, the Summer or the Fall of 2018, you can see the movie at DCS 2018.
    Based on its release timing, you may be in one of the first groups to see it or, if later, maybe even a Director's Cut.
    In either case, there will be a Q & A session afterward with Tamir and maybe a few of the other movie contributors.

Thanks again for the patience and words of encouragement, to keep the DeLorean Convention and Show on-going,
    and thanks to the DCS volunteers who have promised to assist the DCS Team at the next planned event in 2018.

Sorry to be a bit vague on some details right now, but we rather keep the tentative information "tentative" until it
    can all be confirmed. By announcing a general DCS location and specific dates, we hope to keep folks interested.

More to follow soon.

Thanks,
    Rich W. [for the DCS 2018 Planning Team]
    Chicago? Really? After the show in Springfield, do they really intend to have another show in that God-forsaken state so soon? Worst of all, one of the most crime-ridden and horrible cities for traffic. I absolutely hate that city and I hope that they reconsider. I vote for literally anywhere BUT Illinois; the one place where you need a gun the most and they do everything in their power to stop law-abiding citizens from having them.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Count me out if it's in Chicago. I don't know how my car will get regrained, because neither me or my car will be going there- ever.
    Angela N.
    Proud owner of "DeLores"- VIN 1269

If you have one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you're pissing all over today. Unless, of course, you have two feet in a DeLorean.

Can we get proof of life on this DeloreanGirl situation?

By the way, I met another soon to be Delorean owner who is 18 years old. She rarely goes out because she is always dressing in lingerie. She is lithe, a professional dancer and says she only likes other nerdy Delorean owners and eagerly trades massages for work on her car. You can take that to the bank.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

Also: A few weeks ago I went on a ten hour road trip (one way) and all the while I was thanking my lucky stars I was in a new, modern car. So when I was driving dirt roads in the mountains I didn't have to worry about clearance or checking fluid levels or things just generally going wrong. F*ck me standing, four hours in a Delorean is about as much as I can handle, and with a passenger it's worse. I could do more if alone, but having another human in that small cabin for that long, especially a female not used to roughing it a little (sorry ladies) is more than I'd like. So me driving several states away with another person in tow is not likely. And driving to Chicago? HA HA HA HA HA. Not happening. Might fly in to eat some pizza and combine it with a few Delorean events, but that's it. Shame not to have the car there, though. I can pledge that despite the distance, I would do Nashville, but I'd still probably want to fly there.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

Administrator
    VIN
    I have it on good information that the show will NOT be in the City of Chicago. It will likely be in the suburbs, which is a big difference from a traffic and logistics standpoint. Let's wait and see what the official announcements are and let's also remember that the people who plan these events put a lot of time and effort into the planning aspects with little thanks and often a lot of criticism. Just remember that they are the ones putting in a bunch of time to hopefully benefit the community. I have more information that i will share when I have access to an actual computer during the week...stay tuned :-)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I headed up the car show portion at DCS '09 and would be happy to do that and more in the future, provided it's not in Illinois again.

Having the cars stuck indoors was stupid and meant that most people could only stray within walking distance of the hotel.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Duplicate Account View Post
    Can we get proof of life on this DeloreanGirl situation?

By the way, I met another soon to be Delorean owner who is 18 years old. She rarely goes out because she is always dressing in lingerie. She is lithe, a professional dancer and says she only likes other nerdy Delorean owners and eagerly trades massages for work on her car. You can take that to the bank.
    There's pictures if you know where to look
    Angela N.
    Proud owner of "DeLores"- VIN 1269

If you have one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you're pissing all over today. Unless, of course, you have two feet in a DeLorean.

Administrator
    VIN
    As a follow-up, I would note that I have received confirmation that DCS-2018 will have both indoor and outdoor parking available, as I know that was an issue at 2016. However in defense of 2016, the people who put it together did so with less time than usual and they still put on a great show with great guests. They stepped up to plan an event that would not have happened but for their efforts. And those of us who made it to Springfield had a fun time with our fellow Delorean community members.

I have known Rich W since 2002 or 2003, and I know how dedicated he is to the community. Since he is the one who is the driving force behind the current DCS, it only makes sense that he would pick a location that is close to where he resides as the planning logistics takes considerable time and multiple trips to both scout the venue and do paperwork. Like the rest of us, he has other aspects of his life besides the DeLorean community, such as family and work commitments, but he has taken time out of his schedule to continue to DCS tradition. Kudos to him for that! I've never planned a convention personally, but knowing how much time an effort is involved, I certainly appreciate the people who put this stuff together.

Everyone who knows me knows that I am not a fan of Illinois politics etc...that's one of the reasons why I no longer live there, but I won't let that stop me from enjoying what could be the last DCS with my fellow friends in the DeLorean community. I thought it was just as silly that people were raising a stink over Indiana's religious liberty laws when there was discussions of having DCS 2016 in Indiana. No matter where a convention is located, there will be people who don't like it, whether due to distance or extraneous factors.

With all of that said, just know that DCS-2018 plans are in the works and wait for official announcements regarding the specifics before making pronouncements of "I wont go if [x]." I'm certainly going to do my best to be there, and I hope to see each and every one of you there.

PS: Lets see how many carbed DeLoreans we can DRIVE to DCS2018 if for nothing else but to spite naysayers! :-)

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    I headed up the car show portion at DCS '09 and would be happy to do that and more in the future, provided it's not in Illinois again.

Having the cars stuck indoors was stupid and meant that most people could only stray within walking distance of the hotel.
    We had a great time at DCS2016, dammit!

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    With all of that said, just know that DCS-2018 plans are in the works and wait for official announcements regarding the specifics before making pronouncements of "I wont go if [x]." I'm certainly going to do my best to be there, and I hope to see each and every one of you there.

PS: Lets see how many carbed DeLoreans we can DRIVE to DCS2018 if for nothing else but to spite naysayers! :-)

I'm planning to be there, and I hope the rest of these sonofabitches are there too!