Thread: T-Mobile doesn't suck anymore

VIN

T-Mobile doesn't suck anymore

That is all.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Good cause I'm about to go MetroPCS
    -Luke / 10270 / Turbo / EFI

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Good cause I'm about to go MetroPCS
    I was a huge Verizon fan before they started doing unlimited data again. Back when Verizon was expensive, it was extremely reliable and had fast data. I didn't mind paying for reliability.

I don't do Uber much anymore but a couple of weeks ago I decided to drive for an LSU game. In the past, my Verizon phone would always work, even in huge crowds of people. Well guess what? This was my first huge crowd with Verizon since they started selling unlimited data and I ended up in a dead zone. Tons of people around that I could have been making money off of, but there was no service on my Verizon phone. That certainly was a first.

I've been thinking about switching away from Verizon for a while and your conversation the other day made me think of Metro PCS (T-mobile network). In the past T-Mobile has always sucked. Four years ago T-Mobile was offering free sim cards with 1gb of free data a month, no strings. I tried it and couldn't even get service in the middle of Baton Rouge.

I checked the coverage maps before switching to Metro PCS and was surprised to see how much better the map looks. I stopped by a Metro PCS phone on the way home, picked up two free LG K20 phones, and switched to a plan that costs $90 a month for supposedly unlimited data and 10gb hotspots per device. I think they throttle the data after 35 gb, but thats fine for me since I was on a 10gb verizon plan before I switched. Incidentally, if you don't want the free phones, they will give you $100 credits towards the purchase of each phone.

Internet speeds at my house are usually 6 mbps with Metro PCS but I've seen it go as high as 17 mbps. My Verizon phone would rarely get 1 to 2 mpbs after they started selling unlimited data.

In the city, I constantly get speeds ranging from 17 mbps to 50 mpbs. Way faster than Verizon. I'm just curious to see how the phone works in huge crowds at football games and Mardi Gras. Time will tell.

T-Mobile is looking into merging with Sprint. I've no clue whats going to happen if that actually goes through.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    I was on T-mobile or Tm reseller plans for a long time, since the late 90s probably. I switched to Virgin Mobile due to equivalent coverage and you could game their refill cards on eBay for roughly $20/mo service. Slowly the service price has crawled up and the refill card resale market disappeared a long time ago.

I'm also kinda with Comcast at the moment, but once you sign in a device to Comcast, their xfinitiwifi mesh-ish network really enhances coverage amazingly. At least for those overloaded urban situations.
    -Luke / 10270 / Turbo / EFI

T-Mobile bought some good spectrum and have been expanding like crazy. Don't forget, the newer the phone you have the better the signal. Some of the spectrum for T-Mobile is new to the cellphone realm, so phone makers are only recently supporting the antennae.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by sedated View Post
    T-Mobile bought some good spectrum and have been expanding like crazy. Don't forget, the newer the phone you have the better the signal. Some of the spectrum for T-Mobile is new to the cellphone realm, so phone makers are only recently supporting the antennae.
    Ditto what he said. The wife put her T-Mobile sim in her iPhone 5s and it did indeed suck. She put the sim back in her cheapo LG K20 Plus that was provided to us for free and its rocking and rolling. From what I understand, you have to have an iPhone 6 or newer if you are going to use T-Mobile on an iPhone.

I'm still amazed at how fast the thing is. Every once in a while I lose signal at the house (I live out in the sticks) for a few seconds but its no biggie since I'm on wifi anyway. I actually did a speed test when I was driving through Rudock, LA (Its really in the sticks) and I got something like 78 mbps down. At my house I get anywhere from 5 mpbs to 17 mpbs. At my parents (they are further in the sticks than me) I get well over 40 mbps.

I usually get speeds anywhere from 5 mpbs to 50 mbps when I'm in the city.

I'm still dumbfounded at how much better T-mobile is today than it was four years ago.

VIN
    Well, here is an update for my experiences with T-Mobile. So far it is still rocking and rolling for every day use. Unfortunately, it doesn't do as well when there are large groups in an area at once, such as football games.

I drove for Uber at the LSU game on Saturday. There were several spots where I had full signal but no internet connection. Fortunately I had my work phone with me, and in areas where T-Mobile didn't work, I was at least able to get an internet signal with my Sprint phone.

So that is how T-Mobile is working for me right now. I still love it, just can't vouch for it when there is a huge crowd of people. To be fair, my Verizon phone started acting that way at the LSU game I worked before this one, so I suppose you could say T-Mobile works just as crappy as Verizon at a football game.

Of course, all of this depends on how coverage is in your area. I'm curious to see how T-Mobile works at Mardi Gras next year. Supposedly, T-Mobile is still doing major upgrades on their network for the rest of 2017. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Well, here is an update for my experiences with T-Mobile. So far it is still rocking and rolling for every day use. Unfortunately, it doesn't do as well when there are large groups in an area at once, such as football games.

I drove for Uber at the LSU game on Saturday. There were several spots where I had full signal but no internet connection. Fortunately I had my work phone with me, and in areas where T-Mobile didn't work, I was at least able to get an internet signal with my Sprint phone.

So that is how T-Mobile is working for me right now. I still love it, just can't vouch for it when there is a huge crowd of people. To be fair, my Verizon phone started acting that way at the LSU game I worked before this one, so I suppose you could say T-Mobile works just as crappy as Verizon at a football game.

Of course, all of this depends on how coverage is in your area. I'm curious to see how T-Mobile works at Mardi Gras next year. Supposedly, T-Mobile is still doing major upgrades on their network for the rest of 2017. Time will tell.
    That's not just T-Mobile, like you said. Sounds promising, I'm considering going with them too. Just need to look up how things are in my particular area.