Thread: Need Help on Idle Hunting Issue

Need Help on Idle Hunting Issue

Short story - I have new injectors, new spark plugs and a new O2 sensor. I've done a vacuum test using a smoke machine and spraying starter flui around and in both cases have not found a vacuum leak. My car hunts at idle when starting cold until it warms up. I try putting a dwell meter on it (after warmed up and after fans and come on and off) and all I get is a reading between 10.5 to 11 when set to 4 cylinder (Half that when set to 8 cylinder). It idles well when warm and I took a short drive and it seems to drive well. Two questions:

1. What can I check to get rid of the hunting?
    2. Why isn't the dwell meter reading around 40? Perhaps the signal from the O2 sensor not getting trough?

Shannon

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    Cold (<59F) or press WOT switch = 50-60 dwell
    Disconnect O2 sensor => 40-50 dwell
    Disconnect O2 sensor & ground harness lead => 87 or more dwell.
    Disconnected O2 sensor & apply 1.5 V to O2 harness lead => 20 or less dwell
    All readings above should be steady.

All connected, air cleaner installed, ALL other settings correct and warm engine => 35-45 pulsating dwell
    No longer looking for 5 speed D -- Working on "The other DeLorean" (1966 GTO).

Here is an update and mostly the news is good. Per the suggestion in the thread, I unplugged my CO2 sensor. The car was running and up to operating temperature with fans cycling. I plugged in the dwell meter. As before, the reading was between 10.5 and 11. I then unplugged the CO2 sensor and the dwell meter reading went up to about 44.7 with little variation. Here is the video of that:
    https://youtu.be/clMgiVDDjhQ
    Whatever adjustment I did on the idle mixture screw did not budge the reading.

I then plugged the CO2 sensor back in and the dwell meter began fluctuating as it should. I then worked on the tune and here is what I believe is the last video I took:
    https://youtu.be/CMB0WZUy0ao

The engine actually ran a little bit smoother a couple of days ago when I was unable to get a good reading. If you listen carefully to the video the engine isn't quite smooth but it runs well enough now to drive around. This morning I started the car with a cold engine and it fired up almost immediately. The idle wasn't fluctuating but I would like to smooth it out a little more. I'm not sure if I need to barely tweak the mixture screw or if it's something else.

Bottom line is that I have a driveable car. I''l probably get a few miles on it and put the meter on it again and make a very slight adjustment.

Any other tips?

I took it out for a longer drive yesterday. It hunted a bit when first started. I turned on the AC after a few minutes after it was warm and noticed that the RPM was surging erratically. What's going on?