Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to the dark side

VIN

Going to the dark side

So the time has come for me to ditch my never ending frustrating money pit known as k-jet. I'm sick of not being able to drive my car reliably or at all. That said, I think I've all but settled to go with a carb setup. I emailed Bill R last Friday. He indicated he has a full kit short of the tank pickup, which he still needs to weld together.

I noticed the user "Pilot" had a complete kit for sale last month. I PMed him but didn't get a reply yet. I think I saw his same kit for sale on dmctalk and it looks like it may have sold.

Does anyone have a full kit? What should my expectations be in terms of installation, driving performance (increase/decrease), maintenance, etc. I'm specifically looking for input from those who have already changed out their k-jet to carburetor. Other than Bills kit, are there other carb options out there? I'm waiting to hear back from Bill regarding time frame and cost. What is the approximate cost of swapping out the whole system? I'm considering offsetting the cost in the long run by selling the k-jet components.
    Jeff in Dallas

My Car http://dmctx.blogspot.com

VIN
    I'll say this about Bill's kit. He sells a pretty much turn key conversion set that includes everything, down to the last bolt. He pretty much takes pride in what he puts together. As long as you can avoid the drama, just go ahead and get one of his. What he packages together really isn't a bad deal.

If you want to go it alone, you can try to source a Peugot 604 manifold and carburetor although the manifolds are getting harder and harder to find. I can help you piece things together if you manage to find a manifold, however you would still need an adapter plate which is something I don't have the ability to make at the moment.

Once I get my hands on a Peugot 604 manifold I will see about making adapters myself.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Thanks Steve for the info.
    Jeff in Dallas

It's pretty elite.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Well this weekend marked my endeavor into the world of carbureted DeLorean ownership. Bill put a kit together for me over the past few weeks and half of it arrived today. I will be updating my DeLorean blog with all the details time permitting. I'm excited at the idea of being able to reliably drive and use my car again.
    Jeff in Dallas

VIN
    Can I use the old K-Jet return line as my new supply line from my tank to my mechanical fuel pump? I'm trying to figure out the best way to get gas from the tank pickup to the pump mounted on the engine block.
    Jeff in Dallas

Administrator
    VIN
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the wonderful world of carbed DeLorean ownership. I liked my carbed Delorean so much that I covered my other Delorean despite the fact that the K-Jet system worked. I would never go back.

What manifold are you running, fabricated or Peugeot?

With regard to your question, I believe that the answer is yes, you can use the old return line as a supply line (I ran new lines anyways)

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the wonderful world of carbed DeLorean ownership. I liked my carbed Delorean so much that I covered my other Delorean despite the fact that the K-Jet system worked. I would never go back.

What manifold are you running, fabricated or Peugeot?

With regard to your question, I believe that the answer is yes, you can use the old return line as a supply line (I ran new lines anyways)
    Thanks Andrew. I'm running one of Bill's setup. In fact, I just received everything this week so I'm in the process of getting everything connected.

How big a deal is it to run a new fuel line? I figured making use of one of the existing metal lines, provided it doesn't traverse the accumulator, would be fine. The issue I have right now is I was previously running DPI's K-Jet fuel lines, which used a compression fitting on the return line. I can't get the female side of the connection off the line without cutting it. I can do that but I was worried about not having a barb or "lip" to help with the connection safety and rigidity... if that makes sense.

Presently, I'm not planning on removing the accumulator as I don't have a lift and already had to replace it years back. It's a real pain to access from the garage floor with the car on jack stands.

Another conundrum is the throttle and auto trans cable connections. What's the best was to tackle shortening them to the proper length?

I think the only other things I need to do are get a longer brake booster vacuum line. My current was cut to length for the K-Jet intake but Bill's connection is a few inches further away. Also, the auto transmission vacuum line to the modulator is a tapered rubber line and I'll need to adapt it from its larger size down to 3/16" to mate with the manifold.

I'm pretty excited though. I have been taking lots of joy in removing all the K-Jet parts.
    Jeff in Dallas

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Can I use the old K-Jet return line as my new supply line from my tank to my mechanical fuel pump? I'm trying to figure out the best way to get gas from the tank pickup to the pump mounted on the engine block.
    I'm using the return line on mine. I have the accumulator bypassed, but I ran for a while without bypassing it.

I'm pretty sure Bill is running a mechanical pump on the return line. I think he mentioned it & posted pics somewhere here.

You are going to regret this when your car explodes and the blast propells you forty feet in the air. It has been known to happen.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru