Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving 4728 (post-resto thread.)

Administrator
    VIN

Driving 4728 (post-resto thread.)

Instead of mucking up my resto thread with my random comments regarding experiences with my car, I'm starting a "post-resto" thread (credit: Jonathan.)

When I first got the car, I still had 10372 (sold, waiting to be picked up.)

P4130387.jpg

The initial plan was to drive while restoring, but it developed a horrible rapping noise under the valve cover (mentioned throughout my resto thread: http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?1...Resto-VIN-4728) I sidelined the idea of driving it while diagnosing the noise and began working on other areas of the car. "While I'm in there" turned into dismantling the car to being a half frame-off. So, the 2-month plan turned into 2 years, but now I'm back on the road....this time with 5 gears instead of 3 (totally worth it, BTW.)

Last year I set a goal of being ready for driving season 2017, and very glad to say I accomplished it.....been driving for a few weeks now.

Administrator
    VIN
    Earlier this week I took my family for a drive to Martha's [famous] Ice cream place.....yep, family....as in; family of four -lol!

My 9 & 11 year old kids talked my wife into it. So picture this: my wife (who's not a DeLorean fan,) is squished into the front seat with my eldest while my youngest is in the back. She's paranoid about me getting pulled over, while I'm driving through busy Lake George (so I can drive slowly) and she's trying to ignore the DeLorazzi....lol. She said she's never gonna do that again...!

When we got home, I took her across town with just the two of us....she liked that much more, I think she's coming around.

While at the ice cream place, I had a few young guys come running up for pics. A nice family with two young boys pulled in; the boys where running laps around the car so I came over & opened the doors so they could sit in it for pics. My wife stays as far away as possible, but my youngest loves the excitement.

Awesome.

Administrator
    VIN
    Today I went for a drive to diagnose an odd stumbling at 2500 RPM.. I've been able to drive, but had to flutter-pump the pedal at 2500-32800 RPM....appears it was a vacuum line (I think.) Everything is 90% better now.

I stopped for gas and encountered a first: a female paparazzi. She was about my age and remembered when the car first came out. She asked for a few minutes of my time to have a closer look at the car. She was very nice and genuinely interested. I also had a dude ask for a closer look, his wife stayed at a distance from the car like my wife does (lol.)

Saw a few young guys looking shell-shocked....I think it's great that even the younger crowd really digs it.

Got the usual questions:

What type of engine, how many were made, what year is it....etc. And as usual, no cocaine jokes....total ripoff, I like the cocaine jokes.

Today was a great day!

Administrator
    VIN
    I went for another drive today; this evening I took my wife on a short cruise through nearby Lake George....she noticed the car runs/drives better. We drove to the end of the village and turned around in the A&W parking lot so I could visit the A&W DeLorean. If it wasn't dark I would've taken a pic.

Something I'm really jazzed about: the leaks that I've been watching have subsided a lot, Luke was right....driving the shit out of it helps. I think the rear seal [where the crank pulley is] is still seeping a bit, but not much. The lower crankcase seems to have stopped seeping, and [so far] the axle seals are dry.

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Nice pics!

I insured with Hagerty for agreed value of $24,999 as I was wondering if insurance rates act like tax brackets. They don't, and I'm an idiot. Oh well, you gotta try.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

Pics look way better with the ass not so high up in the air. Ppl probably thought your car was in heat and "displaying."

Administrator
    VIN
    Something Michael will appreciate:

Me: This 5-speed is so much more awesome than the 3-speed, right?

Wife: It looks like a lot of work just to drive a car.

Me: No, it's awesome....it's so much more awesome.

My daughter: It's like a video game.

LOL

On the road

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Instead of mucking up my resto thread with my random comments regarding experiences with my car, I'm starting a "post-resto" thread (credit: Jonathan.)

When I first got the car, I still had 10372 (sold, waiting to be picked up.)

P4130387.jpg

The initial plan was to drive while restoring, but it developed a horrible rapping noise under the valve cover (mentioned throughout my resto thread: http://dmctoday.com/showthread.php?1...Resto-VIN-4728) I sidelined the idea of driving it while diagnosing the noise and began working on other areas of the car. "While I'm in there" turned into dismantling the car to being a half frame-off. So, the 2-month plan turned into 2 years, but now I'm back on the road....this time with 5 gears instead of 3 (totally worth it, BTW.)

Last year I set a goal of being ready for driving season 2017, and very glad to say I accomplished it.....been driving for a few weeks now.

Mine only made 80 miles after a year of rebuilding. Now is sounds like the throw out bearing wants out. I'm guessing the cheap ass PO didn't replace when the engine was swapped.