Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Started work on 1269

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanGirl View Post
    Got her home today and unloaded. I started going through the car, checking it out, getting somewhat of an idea of what will need to be cleaned and fixed up. I'm going to document the progress of the restoration here, day by day as I work on it. My goal is to slowly get it restored, so someday it will be returned to its former glory. Don't get me wrong though, as is, it's still a beautiful car, despite some flaws.

Day 1:

Problems:

Front fascia/bumper has a huge crack
    Grill appears to be falling off
    Car starts up and runs, but gas is flooding, and after getting it off the trailer, it died, so it had to be pushed the rest of the way
    Steering wheel shakes
    An interior panel is falling off on the passenger's side
    Crack in the dash
    Tachometer appears to be stuck, not sure if it even works yet
    Horn doesn't work
    Emergency brake is non operational
    Phone wire used under the hood???
    Coolant leak
    Dents on grooved hood
    Couple of carpet stains in the back
    Interior/ carpets are slightly dirty

Progress:

Removing various junk from shifter (tire gauge, rocks, a lighter (which happened to be full), some coins, and screws
    Put driver's seat back together
    Wiped down the seats with Meguiars leather cleaner; now they shine again
    Removed sticky foam from driver's door stainless panel
    Cleaned out storage compartment
    The steering column bushing can be a real bear to replace. There is a trick using a larger sized socket with a combo of washers and a bolt to press a new bushing in place. You might want to start spraying the steering splines with penertrating oil now to make the disassembly easier later. While you have the steering apart, you may want to consider installing a vibration reducing steering U-joint. I liked the upgrade so much on 5052 that I did the same upgrade on 4194.

With regard to the steering wheel, getting the existing wheel recovered can be pricey, and parts store wheel covers can look kinda cheap. A good alternative is a custom made wrap from wheelskins. This is the route that I went with on 5052. http://wheelskins.com/ Would I rather have a perfect NOS steering wheel, of course, but this is a good second choice for the money.

Is the dash cracked or the binnacle? I recently tried a few creative techniques to repair 4194's dash and binnacle which I fully detailed on my "Upgrading 4194" thread.

Day 3:

Progress:

Basically all I did today was work on putting a base coat of paint on the faded 'DMC' logos on the wheels.

Before: 20170526_142012.jpg After: 20170526_150920.jpg

VIN
    Nice work. Don't kill yourself making the car perfect. I've had my car since 2009 and there has always been cosmetic stuff to do. It will never be a new car unless I win the lottery. If that happens I'll drop it off somewhere like DPI or PJ Grady for a complete rebuild. Until that day happens, I'm just happy to have something reliable that runs.

Ditto on what Andrew said. I've seen good fascias show up for $300 many times. You might even get lucky and find someone that can bring a fascia to the DMCMW open house. Events are probably the best place to get a big part like that. Shipping a large item can be a killer.

I currently have a fender I am holding for Rich NYS. I was going to ship it to him but I think the cost was something like $300. If he actually drives to the DMCMW open house, I'll just strap it to the back of my Delorean and deliver it in person.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Nice work. Don't kill yourself making the car perfect. I've had my car since 2009 and there has always been cosmetic stuff to do. It will never be a new car unless I win the lottery. If that happens I'll drop it off somewhere like DPI or PJ Grady for a complete rebuild. Until that day happens, I'm just happy to have something reliable that runs.

Ditto on what Andrew said. I've seen good fascias show up for $300 many times. You might even get lucky and find someone that can bring a fascia to the DMCMW open house. Events are probably the best place to get a big part like that. Shipping a large item can be a killer.

I currently have a fender I am holding for Rich NYS. I was going to ship it to him but I think the cost was something like $300. If he actually drives to the DMCMW open house, I'll just strap it to the back of my Delorean and deliver it in person.
    Thanks. I'm just working overtime before two days straight of rain. Really hoping we don't get the golf ball/ baseball size hail like they're saying.

Cool, I'm looking forward to the open house.

VIN
    Good luck getting it all sorted the way you want. Best advice is to have fun and enjoy the process (keep a swear jar as well, its like a little mad money bank...hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Good luck getting it all sorted the way you want. Best advice is to have fun and enjoy the process (keep a swear jar as well, its like a little mad money bank...hehe)
    Ha, you're the second person to say I'm going to cuss this car XD

VIN
    Oh and a box of baindaids...these cars do require a bit of a blood sacrifice

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Best advice is to have fun and enjoy the process....

(Having mad money and a DeLorean does not compute ;=)
    1669 Sold. Looking for 5 spd...working on "other" DeLorean.

Day 4: Currently working on the dash crack 20170525_101435.jpg

Kudos to Rob for sending the rockscreen, and to Chad for dragging that front fascia up to Midwest. Those will probably get installed either this week or the next. I also have to install the new carburetor, yet part of me wants to put K-Jet back on at some point.

I haven't been able to do any major work yet; buttholes still haven't brought my carport after three weeks.

VIN
    Thats a tiny lil crack..otta be easy to do.

I always thought carports were part of the the house...hehe.