Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Started work on 1269

VIN
    Blog Entries
    It's not pop-rivited; those are GENUINE wood screws.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    -Chad K.

A properly functioning carburetor does not leak fuel. Personally I would fix that. Most owners consider fuel leaks to be a fire hazard.

Bill Robertson

A properly functioning cooling system does not leak coolant. I would fix that too. Apparently Chad sold a car that not only leaks fuel, but leaks coolant as well. Personally I wouldn't do such. For example, the engine I recently transplanted into Farrar's car leaked coolant from a rusted freeze plug, so I replaced all three freeze plugs on that side of the engine. My practice is to deliver a car that does not leak, but that's just me.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Oh, shut up you jackass. It's your piece of shit fuel system that sucks.
    -Chad K.

Farrar's engine is purring like a contented kitten (roars to redline too). It's got a carburetor, which is very unique for a 3.0 (it's Farrar's old 2.8 installation with spacer plates to fit his new 3.0 heads). Runs well and doesn't leak, so it can be done.

Bill Robertson

Administrator
    VIN
    With regard to the fascia, if you are not a perfectionist, I would recommend checking ebay and/or putting a "Parts Wanted" post on the forums. There are never a shortage of less than perfect parts that owners replace in search of the elusive "perfect" Delorean.

When I purchased 4194, the fascia was badly cracked / missing chunks and it had damage to the right front fender. Through a little searching on ebay, I was able to find a fascia that was replaced due to "eyebrow" issues and a right front fender which had a repaired antenna hole for a fraction of the cost of new. IIRC I paid about $100 each for the fender and the fascia. While neither are perfect, I was able to use the $1,000+ that I saved to address other issues on the car.

Congrats on your purchase and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    With regard to the fascia, if you are not a perfectionist, I would recommend checking ebay and/or putting a "Parts Wanted" post on the forums. There are never a shortage of less than perfect parts that owners replace in search of the elusive "perfect" Delorean.

When I purchased 4194, the fascia was badly cracked / missing chunks and it had damage to the right front fender. Through a little searching on ebay, I was able to find a fascia that was replaced due to "eyebrow" issues and a right front fender which had a repaired antenna hole for a fraction of the cost of new. IIRC I paid about $100 each for the fender and the fascia. While neither are perfect, I was able to use the $1,000+ that I saved to address other issues on the car.

Congrats on your purchase and good luck!
    Thanks! I am far from a perfectionist, I'd gladly buy a used part to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic View Post
    A properly functioning cooling system does not leak coolant. I would fix that too. Apparently Chad sold a car that not only leaks fuel, but leaks coolant as well. Personally I wouldn't do such. For example, the engine I recently transplanted into Farrar's car leaked coolant from a rusted freeze plug, so I replaced all three freeze plugs on that side of the engine. My practice is to deliver a car that does not leak, but that's just me.

Bill Robertson
    It will get fixed, but in Chad's defense, he was very honest with me and said the car needed work. For the price he sold it for, I did not expect it to be 100% "perfect".

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanGirl View Post
    Thanks! I am far from a perfectionist, I'd gladly buy a used part to save money.
    Not being a perfectionist will save you a lot of money in your Delorean ownership experience. The last 5% of the details are usually about 50% of the cost.

In addition to posting a "parts wanted" list, you also might want to give the vendors a call on some of the parts you're looking for. I bet they have a decent condition used fascia for a fraction of the cost of new.