Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dream Delorean

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    VIN
    4675, 4190, xxxx

The Dream Delorean

I finally had some time to work on the Dream Delorean. I bought the car from Mike in Alexandrian, VA with no engine or trans which is what I have been looking for for 20 years.

Basically, I am building another Aluminum V8 D with a 4 Speed Triptronics Automatic, just like i did 20 years ago. I have had the spare engine and essentially new Tiptronics for the past 20 years - planning on building another hot rod D. However, that job thing, interfered with my plans so now that I am retired I can get back to fun things.

This Dream Delorean is going to have a new custom 3D printed interior with touch screen electronic control and lots of other up to date technology. Having been involved with classic cars all my life I know that customizing a car with modern reliable, easy to maintain upgrades actually increases the value of the car. The significance of "numbers matching" or "all original" has very little value anymore.

So back to the start. The interior has been removed and the front boot has been cut open. I am going to double the front boot area, just like I did on the 2015 Electric Delorean.

The first project.

I have very WIDE feet 6E+!. What this means is that my shoe gets stuck between the Delorean gas pedal and the brake pedal. I have to drive my Ds with both feet. So this car
    is going to have the break pedal assembly move 1" to the left and the gas pedal moved 1" to the right so my shoe fits.

Further, by moving the brake pedal assembly 1" to the left, I get a bigger bonnet area. I first thought about this on the electric D, but did not have the time to engineer the solution before I got the car on the road. After I do the conversion on the Dream Delorean, I will do it on the 2015 Electric Delorean.

This relocation, will also require moving the hole for the Steering column, but since I am putting in electric power steering, this relocation will come with an better mount for the bottom
    of the column.

I will be posting some pics

more to come!

Bob

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Moved this post from the "Forum Announcements and Support" section because it didn't belong there.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, 3676, and 4590

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    I was thinking the same thing as Chad when I saw the post this morning. Thanks Chad.

Sounds like an awesome project. I'm certainly interested to hear about it as you make progress. Thanks for sharing.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    4675, 4190, xxxx
    Chad,

How do I get there to add to my post?

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Moved this post from the "Forum Announcements and Support" section because it didn't belong there.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    The same way you posted there in the first place; but, that section is for information concerning the operation of the forum itself.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, 3676, and 4590

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    4675, 4190, xxxx

Dream Delorean - Brake Pedal Assembly changes

Started working on the changes to the mounting location of the brake pedal assembly. Interestingly, the gas pedal was factory bent to be closer to the brake pedal.
    It is now bent the other way and there is a 1" larger gap between the pedals. Did the factory purposely have the gas pedal assembly bent to fit the car / mounting location?

What I also discovered is that there are 1" by 3/4" diameter spacers between the pedal assembly and the mount for the power brake booster. Even more interesting is that there is wood between the fiberglass layers in the front wall. There are holes drilled through the interior panel for the spacers so essentially the brake booster and the pedal assembly are only mounted
    to the front fiberglass layer.

So I need to get a 3/4" hole cutting saw and only drill through the interior FG and wood but not the front FG layer to move the pedal assembly.

Now for the second question, why was the tube mount for the power break booster 3" long? It certainly could have been 2" and still had more than enough space for attaching the nuts.
    This overly long tube, resulted in another inch of space lost in the bonnet. So I am thinking of cutting this and making it only 2". However, the will require also cutting and rewelding the
    shaft to the booster (which is huge (aka very long) compared to most cars.

I hope to post some pics tomorrow.

Bob

VIN
    4675, 4190, xxxx

Numbers on the car

Here are some pics of the writings on the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VIN
    4675, 4190, xxxx

Shortened Brake Booster spacer

I have finished shortening the brake booster spacer. This will allow at least 1.5" more width in the front storage area.

Pictures are attached.

Bob

VIN
    4675, 4190, xxxx

HoleS in front wall and spacers

Here are pics of the pedal housing mounting holes in the front wall and the spacers that go between the pedal box and the power brake booster

Consider this a warning Michael's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Wow...this project makes Rich just look ridiculous! Seriously looking forward to watching this one take shape...especially the interior

It's a bold move to manufacture rarely used transmission filters for a rarely used car, but then again I'm a bold guy......Is "bold" the right word?