Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress Update

Administrator
    VIN
    Are those torsion units still available?

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I bet Rich could get one of those fuel pumps and fuel lines if he would just buy a carb from Bill.
    If Bill has a nice refurbed carb for <$100 I'll buy it.

AMC/Jeep distributor (even fire) test fitted. Fits 100% perfectly. I used my old Z7V (B27E) block for test fitting because the hole hasn't been drilled in Farrar's block yet. If I drill that hole straight & true (I'm going to make a jig to guide the bit) fitment will be identical:

EvenFireDistributorTestFitted.jpg 30HolesToBeDrilled.jpg

More readable pic showing how to modify an AMC/Jeep distributor to work on a 3.0 (camshafts swapped). It's super easy to modify the distributor. Hopefully drilling the hole will be similarly easy:

AMCJeepDistributorModified.jpg

Bill Robertson

Administrator
    VIN
    I've never studied a 3.0 engine from the flywheel side. Are the bolt holes for the mechanical fuel pump and distributor hold down already threaded?

I have no idea what the boys in Douvrin were thinking. Those fuel pump hold down holes are factory original. They are identical to B28. But there's nothing to attach to them. The upper hole is a through hole, so you'll find a bolt in it to keep oil from coming out.

This is a first generation 3.0 (1988-mid 1991). Matt David has a second generation engine (coil pack versus front mounted distributor). His engine has a plate just like B28, but I can't get him to take the plate off to see what's underneath. Guess I'll have to buy a second generation engine of my own just to see what's under there.

Drilling the fuel pump hole won't be bad at all. Aluminum is only about 1/4" thick. There's a casting spar on one edge, so I'll probably make a drilling jig just to ensure that spar doesn't cock the bit over. Fuel pump is much less precise than the distributor irrespective. All it has to do is ride on the camshaft lobe. Distributor of course needs to mate up two gears. That hole is definitely getting a jig.

Just put the magnetic pickup from Farrar's disused front mounted distributor in his AMC unit. *SOOOO* much easier than a Bosch distributor. I'd rather stick needles in my eyes than take a Bosch distributor apart. Farrar's pickup was swapped in a matter of minutes. Made in China reluctor is just a hair too small for his Made in USA shaft, so I put the AMC reluctor back in. I'll buy him a new spark advance diaphragm too (this one works, but the housing is rusty).

FarrarDistributorNewPickup.jpg

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Where are you finding the mechanical fuel pumps? The last time I checked, they were NLA at Autozone, RockAuto and Summit.
    Wait, what? I work at Summit now over in their IT department, what's the part number? I think I know who to ask about that.

Administrator
    VIN
    Airtex 1436. I've tried ordering it from Summit twice, but each time I've gotten a notification that it is on backorder. Then my order gets cancelled.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Airtex 1436. I've tried ordering it from Summit twice, but each time I've gotten a notification that it is on backorder. Then my order gets cancelled.
    Top of my "to do" list when I get in tomorrow morning, thanks!

Because the camshafts spin at half crankshaft speed, Farrar's ignition will not be wasted spark -- spark at TDC compression only (same as B28).

I'm pretty sure all of the Megasquirted 3.0's are wasted spark (crankshaft trigger).

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Wait, what? I work at Summit now over in their IT department
    What was that? I could swear I just read something about a friends and family discount code...
    -Luke / 10270 / Superman 3 Turbo Kit

Limited to 2K a year between my family's fleet of five cars