Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Progress Update

What the hell is Farrar doing with high-dollar stainless steel mufflers like that? Now the $15 Autozone specials aren't good enough?

A/C compressor stood off with proper aluminum spacers. Farrar's aftermarket hoses wouldn't clear the driver side oil fill with the compressor bolted directly to the valve cover. Made a new hold down plate -- needs to be painted.

ACCompressor1.jpg ACCompressor2.jpg

Bill Robertson

Why was Farrar's car leaking antifreeze all over my driveway?

RustedThroughFreezePlug.jpg

All better:

NewFreezePlugs.jpg

Bill Robertson

BTW: What everybody in the world calls "freeze plugs" actually have absolutely nothing to do with frozen water. They are how sand gets removed from the interior of a casting after the aluminum or iron dries.

Think about it: where is most of the water in a PRV? It's in the big baths that surround the cylinder liners (there's actually very little coolant in the heads themselves). Does the main engine casting have freeze plugs? Not a single one. Unless the ice manages to unscrew the block drain plugs, if you freeze coolant in the engine itself, you're cracking the block.

Look it up.

Bill Robertson

Digital video camera on order....

Apparently a DeLorean guru is eMailing people that a 3.0 will never run with 2.8 camshafts. With all due respect, what does he think has been going on in my driveway for the past couple weeks? Farrar's new engine has already logged 100,000 miles, and the car is still on blocks. Every day I run the thing for an hour or so. It's like having a new baby at the house -- I can't leave the poor thing alone.

"Give up Orville and Wilbur Wright -- it'll never fly. If God had meant for people to fly he'd have given us wings".

Video as soon as my Amazon order arrives (I'm buying a dashboard camera. It appears to be the cheapest way to get into the digital game. Hopefully it won't look like an old Zeotrope).

Bill Robertson

Good news: Amazon has lowered their free shipping threshold to $25.

Bad news: If you use it, you have to wait a month for your package to show up.

AmazonOrder.jpg

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Inquiring minds want to know. Will the carved 3.0 be at the DMCMW open house next month?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk because I'm too lazy to turn off the mobile signature thingie on my phone.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Carbed is what I meant. Stinking autocorrect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk because I'm too lazy to turn off the mobile signature thingie on my phone.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

This afternoon I sleeved the wires that will be next to Farrar's mufflers with 1,800 degree silica, and then let the engine run for a half hour or so (that's my practice: do something to the car, then let the engine run for a while -- the thing is absolutely mesmerizing, addictive even). Can't wait for my video camera to get here. Creating the world's first carbureted 3.0 with normal ignition and a mechanical fuel pump is justifiably proud, IMHO.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic View Post
    This afternoon I sleeved the wires that will be next to Farrar's mufflers with 1,800 degree silica, and then let the engine run for a half hour or so (that's my practice: do something to the car, then let the engine run for a while -- the thing is absolutely mesmerizing, addictive even). Can't wait for my video camera to get here. Creating the world's first carbureted 3.0 with normal ignition and a mechanical fuel pump is justifiably proud, IMHO.

Bill Robertson
    How many hours will Farrar's engine have to run to make it to the DMCMW open house?