Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Progress Update

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic View Post
    It's too damn cold outside, so decided to stay indoors and put Farrar's carb back together. When I took his carb apart, I discovered the accelerator pump spring was installed backwards. I believe he had help from other forum members the last time this thing was apart. For the sake of your all's accuracy, this is wrong (taper towards the inlet valve) -- it pushes against the inlet valve, preventing the chamber from filling with gas (that red piece of rubber is the inlet valve):

Attachment 8637

This is correct (taper towards the pump diaphragm):

Attachment 8638

There's a recess cast into the carb body that holds the wide bottom of the spring.

Bill Robertson
    I finally got around to taking my carb apart. Looks like I know how to rebuild a carb after all.

My memory seems to be correct. I offered to rebuild Farrar's carb after dissembling it but he chose to let it soak overnight and rebuild it himself the next day. He made the mistake, not me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk because I'm too lazy to turn off the mobile signature thingie on my phone.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

In the immortal words of the Ramones (look it up): It's Alive.

FarrarEngineRunning.jpg

Ran the engine for about an hour (sans exhaust system -- sorry neighbors). Ran it at 3,000 RPM for about 5 minutes. Rev's to redline OK (very loud). Nothing dripped or burst into flames.

There may be one other 3.0 with a traditional distributor (a heavily modified B28 unit). I'm pretty sure this is the only one with a barely modified Motorcraft distributor (shaft cut shorter and B28 gear swapped on). Definitely the only one with a mechanical fuel pump.

I really should rig up an exhaust system before road testing the car, but curiosity is killing me (notice the pliers holding open the choke plate -- I was in such a hurry to test fire this thing I forgot to wire up the choke heater).

Otterstat doesn't work, but the radiator fans run OK with it jumped.

Bill Robertson

Administrator
    VIN
    Looks good!

Coincidence: I was looking through this thread today, trying to find info on the fuel filter that screws into the carb....what's the part#?

Nice update!

Farrar's engine prior to installation:

FarrarEngineReadyForInstallation1.jpg FarrarEngineReadyForInstallation2.jpg

After installation I discovered his aftermarket A/C hoses won't clear the driver side oil fill. I stood the compressor off temporarily with some nuts, which works OK (hoses are still loose -- need to order in a hold down bolt). I'll add some proper aluminum spacers to the order.

I made a cover for the passenger side timing chain sprocket bolt (intermediate fitting that extends through the timing chain cover is captive -- only way to remove it is to pull the timing chain cover off). I'll put it on tomorrow. Kind of fun to watch the bolt spin around as the engine runs though -- perhaps I should rig up a pinwheel instead.

Bill Robertson

Look closely and you'll notice Farrar has no ignition ballast resistors. He will be running full charging voltage into a 1.5 ohm Pertronix coil. That's how my own car has been wired for two years now (and the Service Truck, school bus, Lincoln, and Volvo). Plug gap is .046". That's Ford's standard plug gap. Behind the seat he has an aftermarket Duraspark ignition module. Distributor is made by Motorcraft (AMC/Jeep application). Only part of his ignition that isn't Ford are the spark plugs themselves -- he had a brand new set of NKG's so I reused them. Ford part number would be Autolite 103.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    4675, 4190, xxxx
    Bill,

Great work! I really like seeing a simpler, more reliable car, that can easily be maintained. Have you read the story about GM and John Deere copyrighting their software that they use in their vehicles. Essentially, this copyright means they really own your vehicle and you can't use it without their software.

I like my old cars, that I really own!

Well, shit. I was test running Farrar's engine this afternoon when I noticed coolant dripping under the car. Turns out one of his freeze plugs has rusted through. Not the end of the world, but I will be replacing all six (if one is leaking, another can't be far behind) upside down, laying in a puddle of coolant under the car. Also, whereas Houston only was 84 cents apiece for them, shipping is $25 per order. Why don't car companies make the damn things out of a non-ferrous metal?

Lesson learned: if I ever do another one of these, the freeze plugs are getting replaced while the engine is upside down on the floor.

LeakingFreezePlug.jpg

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic View Post
    Well, shit. I was test running Farrar's engine this afternoon when I noticed coolant dripping under the car. Turns out one of his freeze plugs has rusted through. Not the end of the world, but I will be replacing all six (if one is leaking, another can't be far behind) upside down, laying in a puddle of coolant under the car. Also, whereas Houston only was 84 cents apiece for them, shipping is $25 per order. Why don't car companies make the damn things out of a non-ferrous metal?

Lesson learned: if I ever do another one of these, the freeze plugs are getting replaced while the engine is upside down on the floor.

LeakingFreezePlug.jpg

Bill Robertson
    Heh. And the exhaust manifold really didn't need to overlap. It overlaps just enough to say "F U, now pull the whole exhaust to fix me."

Manifolds have to come off anyway to get to the other ones. They're held on with stainless nuts -- will spin right off (even years later). And of course Farrar has no remainder of his exhaust system yet. Except for laying upside down in a puddle of coolant, shouldn't be too bad.

Midwest is sending a set in an envelope via US Mail -- shipping shouldn't be too bad.

Bill Robertson

Adapters that connect Farrar's Ford ignition components to his Bosch car:

DistributorAdapter.jpg IgnitionModuleAdapter.jpg

Bill Robertson