Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress Update

Progress Update

All future carb conversions will get mechanical fuel pumps. Rumor that mechanical fuel pumps are NLA is untrue Ė Iíve got half a dozen on the shelf right now, and another half dozen in transit.

MechanicalFuelPumpInventory.jpg

Please disregard the outlet hose barbs Ė future carb conversions will also get metal fuel lines in the engine compartment, using traditional Ford fuel filters screwed into the front of the carburetor (thatís Louis Duetís old carburetor BTW, which works just fineÖ). I will replace the outlet hose barbs with flare fittings Ė just havenít had a chance due to activity below. A short piece of hose will still connect the pump to the frame line of course Ė thatís industry standard (engine moves independently of the frame).

MetalFuelLine.jpg

Tank mounted fuel pump will be replaced with a straight pickup tube (welded aluminum). Tank baffles will be aluminum as well (already bought them Ė just havenít had a chance to drill little holes at the bottom yet so I posed the pumps with old Tuna Fish baffles). Replaceable 300 micron pickup screen at the bottom is the same.

NewVsOldTankPickup.jpg NewTankPickup.jpg

As stated, Iíve been busy swapping 2.8 lower engine castings onto 3.0ís. Nothing new there, but what is new is Iíve swapped camshafts as well. Turns out they also are interchangeable (lobes point in the same direction Ė minor variations in lift and duration: 2.8 are slightly higher and shorter). Effect should be roughly equivalent to putting a pair of Bengston or Steger cams in a 2.8, although 3.0 valves are slightly larger so it could be a wash. Irrespective, now that I have camshafts with a distributor drive gear and a mechanical fuel pump lobe, all that remains to make plug & play 3.0 conversions is couple of jigs to hold the bits straight & true while drilling out the 3.0 heads.

GarageMess.jpg

PRV distributor gear test fitted on a common as dirt ($10 cap & rotor at any part house) American even fire distributor. This is a junkyard distributor I picked up for testing purposes Ė 3.0 conversions themselves will of course get new units.

30DistributorEvenFire.jpg

A lot of owners donít realize there is a threaded hole for a traditional distributor clamp under the K-Jet distributor. My car uses it:

StandardDistributorClampOnPRV.jpg

2.8 intake manifold adapted to fit on 3.0 heads. Historical curiosity: this is intake manifold #1, circa 1988.

28ManifoldAdapted30_1.jpg 28ManifoldAdapted30_2.jpg

I am still painting Farrarís engine cradle, so it will be another week or two before his new engine gets installed. Still waiting for bits to arrive to drill out the heads anyway. Camshafts and lower engine casting have already been swapped.

FarrarFramePaint_3Coats.jpg

Farrar is going to get a welded stainless exhaust system Ė there really isnít enough room for his 2 1/4Ē flex tubing with all the automatic transmission peripherals (2Ē might work, but not 2 1/4Ē Ė not enough bend radius). I will use his flex tubing temporarily to test run the engine with the mufflers laying on the ground.

Speaking of which: anybody who tries to drill out a snapped off exhaust stud from underneath the car with the engine still in place is crazier than I am. #2508ís engine had two snapped off studs (one in the car, one on the ground). I was easily able to drill them out and salvage original threads in the aluminum (and no Dave Swingle, I didnít drill too deep Ė I think thatís only a problem when working upside down).

2508EngineOnFloor.jpg

Slightly off topic, but #2508 has Heninger torsion units now. If you remove the T panel and throw the door all the way over you can install them by yourself with just a simple hand held allen wrench (you only need the wrench to line up the bolt holes). I bought a pair of torsion units for #5939 but havenít had a chance to install them yet.

ByrneBarDriverSide.jpg ByrneBarPassengerSide.jpg

Speaking of Byrne: Last October I drove down to his house and got a DeLorean running the same day that hadnít even started for more than a decade (had to vacuum mice nests out of the intake ports). Carburetion may not be perfect, but it definitely is the fastest and easiest way to resuscitate a car thatís been sitting.

ByrneDeLorean1.jpg ByrneDeLorean4.jpg

Anyway, that's progress thus far.

Bill Robertson

Administrator
    VIN
    I'd like to buy a mechanical fuel pump.....that's a great idea Andrew came up with.

VIN
    Bill might be our only source for mechanical fuel pumps too.

He basically has a guy that walks into the France equivalent of Autozone, buys a bunch and then ships them to Bill.

I can't say any of us have that sort of arangement.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    I bet Rich could get one of those fuel pumps and fuel lines if he would just buy a carb from Bill.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

"If you remove the T panel and throw the door all the way over"
    PLEASE tell me somebody has a picture of that happening, I always thought the doors had a 90 degree limitation built-in, that sounds like an awesome sight to see!!!

So, assuming this is Bill, was all this progress made after your departure from here? If so, that's nuts! I've made roughly 0% progress on my stuff (well, beyond following up on an email that said to expect a quote I never got... from two months ago... just today...)

Side note: I'm still waiting for whoever has the next "bright idea" on the automatic transmission limitations. With three forward gears, both HP and speed are abysmal...

VIN
    I can just see Bill at the DMCMW open house. He is going to have several of us lining up at his car to buy fuel pumps. I'm certainly going to ask him to bring me one.

VIN
    Wow. I just realized Bill posted a pic of his fuel tank pickup. I'm totally digging it. Had I known he was working on this, I never would have put together the GMC Fuel Pump pickup assembly. What I have works, but Bills looks nice.

Bill, what are you using to seal the tank? The GM fuel pumps come with a rubber gasket. Are you using a gasket or does it seal on its own?

VIN
    4675, 4190, xxxx

Carberators! Yeah for simplicity!

Great work Bill! I use a mechanical fuel pump on the 4.5L Aluminum V8. The tank pick up is so simple to make.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic View Post
    All future carb conversions will get mechanical fuel pumps. Rumor that mechanical fuel pumps are NLA is untrue Ė Iíve got half a dozen on the shelf right now, and another half dozen in transit.

MechanicalFuelPumpInventory.jpg

Please disregard the outlet hose barbs Ė future carb conversions will also get metal fuel lines in the engine compartment, using traditional Ford fuel filters screwed into the front of the carburetor (thatís Louis Duetís old carburetor BTW, which works just fineÖ). I will replace the outlet hose barbs with flare fittings Ė just havenít had a chance due to activity below. A short piece of hose will still connect the pump to the frame line of course Ė thatís industry standard (engine moves independently of the frame).

MetalFuelLine.jpg

Tank mounted fuel pump will be replaced with a straight pickup tube (welded aluminum). Tank baffles will be aluminum as well (already bought them Ė just havenít had a chance to drill little holes at the bottom yet so I posed the pumps with old Tuna Fish baffles). Replaceable 300 micron pickup screen at the bottom is the same.

NewVsOldTankPickup.jpg NewTankPickup.jpg

As stated, Iíve been busy swapping 2.8 lower engine castings onto 3.0ís. Nothing new there, but what is new is Iíve swapped camshafts as well. Turns out they also are interchangeable (lobes point in the same direction Ė minor variations in lift and duration: 2.8 are slightly higher and shorter). Effect should be roughly equivalent to putting a pair of Bengston or Steger cams in a 2.8, although 3.0 valves are slightly larger so it could be a wash. Irrespective, now that I have camshafts with a distributor drive gear and a mechanical fuel pump lobe, all that remains to make plug & play 3.0 conversions is couple of jigs to hold the bits straight & true while drilling out the 3.0 heads.

GarageMess.jpg

PRV distributor gear test fitted on a common as dirt ($10 cap & rotor at any part house) American even fire distributor. This is a junkyard distributor I picked up for testing purposes Ė 3.0 conversions themselves will of course get new units.

30DistributorEvenFire.jpg

A lot of owners donít realize there is a threaded hole for a traditional distributor clamp under the K-Jet distributor. My car uses it:

StandardDistributorClampOnPRV.jpg

2.8 intake manifold adapted to fit on 3.0 heads. Historical curiosity: this is intake manifold #1, circa 1988.

28ManifoldAdapted30_1.jpg 28ManifoldAdapted30_2.jpg

I am still painting Farrarís engine cradle, so it will be another week or two before his new engine gets installed. Still waiting for bits to arrive to drill out the heads anyway. Camshafts and lower engine casting have already been swapped.

FarrarFramePaint_3Coats.jpg

Farrar is going to get a welded stainless exhaust system Ė there really isnít enough room for his 2 1/4Ē flex tubing with all the automatic transmission peripherals (2Ē might work, but not 2 1/4Ē Ė not enough bend radius). I will use his flex tubing temporarily to test run the engine with the mufflers laying on the ground.

Speaking of which: anybody who tries to drill out a snapped off exhaust stud from underneath the car with the engine still in place is crazier than I am. #2508ís engine had two snapped off studs (one in the car, one on the ground). I was easily able to drill them out and salvage original threads in the aluminum (and no Dave Swingle, I didnít drill too deep Ė I think thatís only a problem when working upside down).

2508EngineOnFloor.jpg

Slightly off topic, but #2508 has Heninger torsion units now. If you remove the T panel and throw the door all the way over you can install them by yourself with just a simple hand held allen wrench (you only need the wrench to line up the bolt holes). I bought a pair of torsion units for #5939 but havenít had a chance to install them yet.

ByrneBarDriverSide.jpg ByrneBarPassengerSide.jpg

Speaking of Byrne: Last October I drove down to his house and got a DeLorean running the same day that hadnít even started for more than a decade (had to vacuum mice nests out of the intake ports). Carburetion may not be perfect, but it definitely is the fastest and easiest way to resuscitate a car thatís been sitting.

ByrneDeLorean1.jpg ByrneDeLorean4.jpg

Anyway, that's progress thus far.

Bill Robertson

Administrator
    VIN
    Congrats on the progress Bill! Looks like you have been busy! Where are you finding the mechanical fuel pumps? The last time I checked, they were NLA at Autozone, RockAuto and Summit.

I swapped a 1984 Volvo 2.8 into 4194 in November. Between the lower crankcase swap, swapping valve covers and other misc parts, it took less than one night of work to turn a Volvo engine into a DMC engine. I'm using the Volvo oil cap as a souvenir :-)

I have also verified how easy it is to install Byrne's torsion unit. I followed Byrne's instructions and had the entire replacement completed and adjusted in less than an hour. Truly a great invention by Byrne.

Administrator
    VIN
    By the way, what car is pictured in the metal fuel line picture? Is that your Volvo 760 fitted with a Pug Manifold and mechanical fuel pump? I did a double take when I saw the brake master cylinder!