Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Gauging Interest] LED Side Marker Blinker Mod Fix

Administrator
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    It does mater if your just doing the original mod intended for incandescent bulbs. And yes with all LEDs in the OEM flasher circuit, you need the LED flasher.

The bulb type does not matter for the side markers using my side marker flasher. My unit is limited to 3 amps so powering both side markers your limit is 1.5 amps for each marker.

Don't confuse the OEM flasher with the "side marker flasher". They are different functions. The OEM flasher powers the front and rear "blinker" lights.
    Cool, thanks....I'll move forward on ordering LED's and a flasher, then check into the side marker mod another time.

"Side marker flasher" is a Dave-only product. "OEM flasher" is the thing that makes your turn signal go on-off-repeat. Factory setup is to have rear amber (in taillight) and front amber (in bumper) blink with turn signals, and side lights come on for parking lights or headlights. These do not cross paths.

The often-cited "blinker mod" (if done the traditional, non-Dave way) works by changing each side light's GND ("ground") wire to ground into the turn signal circuit supply for that side (in the rear, side marker GND is cut and re-connected to taillight turn, front usually requires running wire through the grille to connect there).

Now, electronics 101 tells us that sending electricity backwards often does bad things, which would mean the parking circuit should fry the turn signals when they come on, and the turn signals should fry the parking lights when they come on, right? Actually, no, and here's why: both circuits are "switched" from GND to 12V when activated, which means when they're both off, both sides of the circuit are correctly grounded. Powering just one circuit means electricity flows freely from the circuit that is on to the one that is off. When both come on, the electricity is being "sent" both ways and cancels itself out.

(That very last bit isn't wholly technically accurate, but it in the context of a simple circuit like this one, it is).

Working on that diagram still, almost got it done! Lost an hour after my image editor crashed on me, but recovered quickly.