Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaker Relocation Discussion

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    shows how much it intrudes into the footwell area. For a 5-speed where you are really only having your feet on the three pedals, this isn't really a problem. For an automatic where you want to give your feet a break though...
    That really is just how I chose to build them. Plus I tend to drive long distance with my left knee raised and everything fits just right.

for the love of god point me to a good-sounding 3" sub!!!)
    https://en-us.sennheiser.com/headphones
    -Luke / 10270 / Superman 3 Turbo Kit

Consider this a warning Michael's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    My old 85 Trans Am had a pair of 3" subs right below the 6x9s in the rear b pillar (all factory) they sounded great but they were in a special enclosure. There was a sliding adjustment on the dash for the mini sub output. The enclosure was long and narrow so maybe they copied Bose.

It's a bold move to manufacture rarely used transmission filters for a rarely used car, but then again I'm a bold guy......Is "bold" the right word?

Administrator
    VIN
    I rode in Luke's awesome machine; between the friggin' turbo and the sound system, I was beginning to feel a bit *ahem* "awkward" while riding with another man.

So, none o' you pricks wanna weigh in on my bluetooth speaker idea? Is it so ridiculous you don't want to hurt my manly feelings?!

I had forgotten the DMC California units faced each other -- that is a far more prefereable setup to me. I'll have to see if I can dig up details somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Well played, although I was aiming for something loud enough to fill a car with low end bass in a small size. Something like a Skullcandy Crusher on steroids. (I have that exact model, dear god is it an amazing set to have!!! Ate through so many batteries, I invested in high-quality rechargables just to keep the bass booming.

Sennheiser is a new one to me. Frankly I've not really found many resources for a breakdown of "who's who" in the headphone market. I've seen plenty for amps, subs, woofers, etc. though (I can't remember what that one "good, bad, and ugly" list is called for those, broken down mostly by brand). Then again, I don't listen to much headphone music either, so I don't have a need there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    So, none o' you pricks wanna weigh in on my bluetooth speaker idea? Is it so ridiculous you don't want to hurt my manly feelings?!
    I thought I did, but guess not. Bluetooth sucks. Doesn't matter how good of a setup you have, if it is streamed via bluetooth, you are inherently listing to crappy sound. The whole protocol was designed around voice, so unless you're a fan of opera, look elsewhere.

WiFi has been the "better" wireless protocol for some time now. I do recall seeing an infomercial for an NFC speaker, but reading up on that, its data rate is abysmal for audio. At this point though, if you're going with bluetooth, why not just rig up a damn auxiliary jack and route the wire properly?! True 1:1 sound, no strings attached (and far less battery wasted too, for that matter).

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    My old 85 Trans Am had a pair of 3" subs right below the 6x9s in the rear b pillar (all factory) they sounded great but they were in a special enclosure. There was a sliding adjustment on the dash for the mini sub output. The enclosure was long and narrow so maybe they copied Bose.
    That's interesting, part of a certain audio trim level?

Bose really does do incredible things with small drivers. I rescued a broken PC setup of theirs. Nothing special, just 2 tiny little satellite style speakers and a sub/amp combo. The sub can't have anything bigger than a 4 or 5" inside but it is amazing sounding. My basement is open and it can fill the entire space and still sound great.

Sennheiser is a new one to me. Frankly I've not really found many resources for a breakdown of "who's who" in the headphone market.
    They have been in the business for a long time. They make headphones as opposed to audio fashion accessories. Typical high-end German understatement.

I thought I did, but guess not. Bluetooth sucks. Doesn't matter how good of a setup you have, if it is streamed via bluetooth, you are inherently listing to crappy sound.
    Yes, this! An HD or lossless BT protocol is very much needed.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I rode in Luke's awesome machine; between the friggin' turbo and the sound system, I was beginning to feel a bit *ahem* "awkward" while riding with another man.
    Haha, oh go on, you

I've had the car for 19 years and I can't leave well enough alone. And yet I would love to relive that first summer, with 3 mismatched tires, a Craig that ate tapes, a window that would occasionally not roll up...

So, beyond the kick panels, is there really any good place to mount a 6x9 or a 6.5" or larger woofer in the cabin? Wondering at this point -- might be ringing up DMC California soon for their kick panel boxes if there's nothing else decent.

Also wondering about sub options. Cubby is limited to 10" I think? I've thought about parcel shelf options that face backwards to avoid proximity problems, no clue what the size limitations are there though.

VIN
    If you're after quality I would avoid 6x9 speakers entirely. Not sure what alternatives for 6.5" mounting there are that wouldn't involve radical customization.

Either would fit easily on the parcel shelf but then you have the backwards soundstage conundrum.

I've seen some nice boxes for the parcel shelf but it isn't my thing. I like having that space open and usable, plus that's where all of my grafted-on (soon to be Megasquirt) computers are located, so I end up in those panels more often than a normal person.

10" is going to be the max for the cubby but you'd have to find a sub optimized for low enclosure volume and I'm skeptical that you could really break 50hz very well. My kicker 10 was loud, make no mistake, but it just could not register super low. This might not be a problem for most people. For me if a sub can't break 30hz it's no good.

If you install a cubby sub without a box I would expect the wiring tray, ECUs, parking brake cables, and everything else to buzz & rattle like hell. I've never heard a great infinite baffle setup either.

But... damn near anything is better than stock

Has anyone found a good source for matching carpet to the originals?

I had some carbon fiber CDT 6x9's in my '01 Civic, not gonna lie, they sounded surprisingly good. Of course, I haven't tried that size since, and I've definitely upgraded for clarity more than when I had that car.

I'll try kick panels for the 6.5" (or bigger?) woofers. I'm with you though, 10" subs don't go low enough for me. I'm thinking parcel shelf is the only spot that can fit 12" or bigger while still having a usable spare tire, but I'm not entirely convinced on that one.

Is there anywhere else I can stick a 12" sub comfortably?