Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roof box repair

Where did the bolts in question come from? Hardware store, OEM? Wondering if the stock design might be different there. Can't say I know either, but given my luck in getting Rich's D running twice now while knowing jack-squat about it, I'll triple down here, sure

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCSPRINT View Post
    Okay hopefully one last dumb question , when you drill the holes to put the carriage bolts in , how do you make them go completely flush with the beam? Another words the holes are big enough for the bolt to go on but the end of the carriage bolts have a squared just below the top , so do you keep cranking into it goes into the fiberglass are just add washers to fill the space? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't use bolts Carl. Use 1/4' X 3/4 aluminum rivets. They won't loosen and you don't have to R&R the headliners. I have pics somewhere on a typical installation I can forward later.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by P. J. Grady Inc. View Post
    Don't use bolts Carl. Use 1/4' X 3/4 aluminum rivets. They won't loosen and you don't have to R&R the headliners. I have pics somewhere on a typical installation I can forward later.
    Rob
    Thanks Rob, wish I had asked you earlier. I already drilled holes to do bolts , but I guess it wouldn't hurt to add a few rivets to make sure it doesn't move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIN
    You could always patch the fiberglass holes and do Rob's pop rivet meathod? Fiberglass kits are only $10 at walmart and it's super easy to work with.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk because I'm too lazy to turn off the mobile signature thingie on my phone.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Gas mask required also I believe, make sure you have one in good condition.

Also: Rob's back!!! How are you doing man? It's been a long while since I've seen you here

Lots of guys stopping for a quick visit it seems. Lazabby, Nick R, that guy with the avatar of the orange 80's dude in the sunglasses (name escaping me), DMCSprint. We could use some more who stop by more frequently.

VIN
    Ha. You don't need a gas mask for such a small job. Just do it outside.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk because I'm too lazy to turn off the mobile signature thingie on my phone.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Also: Rob's back!!! How are you doing man? It's been a long while since I've seen you here

Lots of guys stopping for a quick visit it seems. Lazabby, Nick R, that guy with the avatar of the orange 80's dude in the sunglasses (name escaping me), DMCSprint. We could use some more who stop by more frequently.
    That's what happens when I post a picture with his fancy smancy window switch mataligner in background.

Plus I mentioned paying a vendor to replace my roof box. Someday when I'm not poor white trash it might happen.

and Rob please do forward pics in case I try that method. I think I am overkilling it a little bit but figured while I am there might as well.

Spittybug! Name came back to me