Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roof box repair

Roof box repair

Hello I was looking at putting bolts in my rear roof area to secure the roof box from lifting up. My roof is fine right now but I have my T panel off and figured I would make sure it's secure . can someone please help and let me know where exactly do you drill the bolts through to secure it I have seen pictures but just want to be sure I do it correctly thank you.

VIN
    I've never bolted down a roof box but I don't think there is a real science to it. If I were to do this, I would take the headliner out and drill some holes through rear section of the roof box into the fiberglass. Then bolt the thing down and seal it up real good with RTV.

Unfortunately for me, my roof box is rusted out pretty bad and is beyond repair. If/when I actually do anything to my roof box, it is going to be a complete replacement. I'm seriously debating paying a vendor to do this sometime in the future.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Thanks just wasn't sure if there were certain locations on the roof fiberglass that you should use. Yes if I replace mine I will get the full stainless roof box and have a vendor do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIN
    It's not a cheap job for a vendor to do. Two vendors quoted me about 40 hours plus parts.

I plan to have my house paid for in about four years. Once I'm debt free I'll worry about that stupid roof box. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk because I'm too lazy to turn off the mobile signature thingie on my phone.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

I'm just going to throw this out there in case it isn't obvious enough: limit the drill depth with a stop-collar, or remove the T-panel first. Holes in the stainless would be bad...

"Stop collar" is probably the wrong term, but basically that washer-looking thing that has a screw to tighten onto the drill bit and prevent it from going too far.

VIN
    I would hope someone would remove the T panel and headliner before attempting such a repair. Good reminder though.

Yes T panel has been off ha, that's what started all this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I would hope
    I hope, but never assume. You never know who will be skimming through this kind of stuff later and rush through it with an amateur mistake.

(Speaking as a guy who has repeatedly done exactly that)

Okay hopefully one last dumb question , when you drill the holes to put the carriage bolts in , how do you make them go completely flush with the beam? Another words the holes are big enough for the bolt to go on but the end of the carriage bolts have a squared just below the top , so do you keep cranking into it goes into the fiberglass are just add washers to fill the space? Thanks

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCSPRINT View Post
    Okay hopefully one last dumb question , when you drill the holes to put the carriage bolts in , how do you make them go completely flush with the beam? Another words the holes are big enough for the bolt to go on but the end of the carriage bolts have a squared just below the top , so do you keep cranking into it goes into the fiberglass are just add washers to fill the space? Thanks

Put too much tension and you risk cracking the fiber glass. I would use some good wide washers and or get a bolt that doesn't have that square below the head. Be careful taking my advice though as I have never done this job before.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.