Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roof box repair

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Also: Rob's back!!! How are you doing man? It's been a long while since I've seen you here

Lots of guys stopping for a quick visit it seems. Lazabby, Nick R, that guy with the avatar of the orange 80's dude in the sunglasses (name escaping me), DMCSprint. We could use some more who stop by more frequently.
    Just trying to spend more time in the shop is all.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by P. J. Grady Inc. View Post
    Just trying to spend more time in the shop is all.
    Rob
    Oh good! Just glad none of us scared you off. A few of the guys started wondering when Bill bolted for the Talk door.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Spittybug! Name came back to me
    Like a bad penny. Took over a year off from working on the car to restore the ground floor of the house after Harvey. Delorean got it too but it sat (carpets out) at a friends place for a year waiting for me. Now that I've replaced brake pistons, built a new wooden board behind the seats, recarpeted and replaced a frayed throttle cable, I'm tackling the roof stuff that has been put off for years.

I've got the driver door off for some long overdue adjustments and have been examining the interior of the roof box. The passenger door is coming off next. Both sets of hinges coming off after marking their locations. I found that the stud plates under them were getting rusty. The interior of the box has significant surface rust but I don't see yet that it has eaten through. It passes the screwdriver punch test. My plan is to POR-15 the hell out of the interior of the box and the mounting flange areas. Top coat with Flex seal instead of the tons of RTV the factory used.

It dawned on me that I could cut an access panel in the roof box to facilitate the clean-out and painting. I don't see why not. A clean cut access like the one for the wiring cable and then weld it back in place. I think the benefit of full access and good paint coverage outweighs any risk of structural integrity. In all reality, this roof box structure could have been more of a cage structure to provide the necessary support, reduce weight and prevent these rusting issues that everyone now has. But then again, did the designers really believe we'd be having to worry about this 40 or so years after production? I'm surprised the vendors haven't re engineered this whole roof box instead of simply copying it in stainless.

Downside?
    Still conjuring up something witty.... in the meantime, check out TwoBrewDogs.com

VIN
    Sorry to hear about you being affected by the Houston flood. I had no idea up until now. My parents went through that mess in 2016, twice, and I donít wish that mess on anyone, even an enemy.

Iím taking the lazy approach to my roof box problem. As soon as winter is over Iím planning to bring my car to Grady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

The wife and I are heading to LI tomorrow (her mom moving into long term care) and I plan on dropping in on Rob to let him test a pair of my lower control arm braces. I'll see what he thinks about the roof box. Mine isn't bad enough to undertake a massive ordeal such as replacing it. We're deciding whether to drive I-10 like always or go the Shreveport route - first stop is Meridian, MS. I detest driving through Baton Rouge, although Sunday shouldn't be so bad. It was terrible in the early 90's when I'd stay out by College ave and have to cross the bridge to get down to Plaquemine and worse in the late afternoon! It has only gotten worse not better.
    Still conjuring up something witty.... in the meantime, check out TwoBrewDogs.com

VIN
    Sunday should be fine for driving through Baton Rouge, but during the week that bridge can be a nightmare almost any time of day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)