Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Carb mod: GM fuel pump re-purposed as a fuel pickup.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC VIN 6639 View Post
    Attachment 9446

No kjet left in mine... Thanks for the PN. Amazon is too easy. The Airtex pump should be here tomorrow. I need to test fuel pressure throughout the system. The pump I have should be good to 7psi, so somewhere I am losing pressure.
    The pump numbers I gave you are pretty good. They both supply 5 to 6 lbs of pressure.

The only real drawback is they are electric. For whatever reason, electric fuel pumps sometimes die, whether your car is carbed or K-jet. Once you install it and are happy with the result, it wouldn't hurt to order a spare. The good news, is they are easily found at local auto parts stores as well.

Mechanical fuel pumps are nice because you don't have to worry about the electronics, but they are hard to find. There aren't any mechanical fuel pumps for sale in the USA anymore, unless you reach out to Bill Robertson (Greasy Delorean Mechanic.)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Who, I just noticed the picture of your engine bay. Very nice!

A PRV fuel pump certainly would not work in your application. Ignore everything I said and stick with the electric pump.

There might be a mechanical fuel pump for your engine, but you will have to do a little homework on your own to figure it out. What vehicle is that engine from?
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    Is that Edelbrock a Performer? I'm not sure what the other Edelbrock series calls for (assuming the same or less for most), but fwiw, my Performer docs say there should not be any more than 6.0 psi at idle (set@5.5 psi if adjustable pump)...If more than 6.0 psi at idle, the vehicle will perform well, but may beprone to stalls...
    Working on "The other DeLorean" (1966 GTO).

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC VIN 6639 View Post
    Attachment 9446

No kjet left in mine... Thanks for the PN. Amazon is too easy. The Airtex pump should be here tomorrow. I need to test fuel pressure throughout the system. The pump I have should be good to 7psi, so somewhere I am losing pressure.
    Good gravy, you have room for at least 3 extra cats in there!!

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Lesbian Goat View Post
    Good gravy, you have room for at least 3 extra cats in there!!
    I've always said I would put a four cylinder engine in a DeLorean but that thing looks nice.

I keep wondering if he had to do any fancy transmission work to get that thing in there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I've always said I would put a four cylinder engine in a DeLorean but that thing looks nice.

I keep wondering if he had to do any fancy transmission work to get that thing in there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It has a custom bell housing. The transmission sits in the stock location, but the rear closing panel is carved out to fit the accessories. Mod was done by a PO hacker. He never got it on the road.

IMG_5758.jpgIMG_5756.jpgIMG_5833.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Is that Edelbrock a Performer? I'm not sure what the other Edelbrock series calls for (assuming the same or less for most), but fwiw, my Performer docs say there should not be any more than 6.0 psi at idle (set@5.5 psi if adjustable pump)...If more than 6.0 psi at idle, the vehicle will perform well, but may beprone to stalls...
    Thanks to Steve recommendation, the Airtek pump is making good psi. I have 7psi after the pump and regulator trimmed to 5.5psi. The only issue I have, and I think it is carb related, it will cut out under load around 3k rpm. I am playing with carb calibration kit, changing rods and springs.