Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Carb mod: GM fuel pump re-purposed as a fuel pickup.

K-Jet return line takes excess fuel from the distributor and returns it to the tank. I reverse the flow to take fuel from the tank to an engine mounted fuel pump (my car still has rubber lines in the engine compartment -- haven't had a chance to upgrade to steel yet):

MechanicalPump.jpg

Repurposed return line on my Volvo (Volvo accumulators don't have rubber hoses on the back, so there's no tee in the return line to cap off -- it's just one contiguous front to rear piece of steel tubing):

VolvoReturnLineRepurposed.jpg

Bill Robertson

Administrator
    VIN
    OH....you're using the OEM return line as a supply line.

I'm doing something similar...

VIN
    So anyway, I was going to post a magical update about how my car runs with the mechanical fuel pump but I've ran into a few problems.

Problem 1. I still can't find my car keys. I made a trip to the local locksmith yesterday with the key code under the headliner. He made me two keys (using my blanks) for $25. I got home and found out the keys didn't work. Either he cut the keys wrong or somewhere in the past the ignition cylinder has been replaced on my car. I'm betting the ignition cylinder has been replaced since my car is an 83 and when I purchased it the car had separate keys for ignition and doors. I sent an email to DMCH to see if they might have the key code for the ignition cylinder on my car. If they don't have it, then I'll give AAA a call. I have locksmith services with AAA up to $150.

Problem 2. I was going to use the return line to provide fuel to the mechanical pump. Unfortunately when I removed my fuel accumulator (I gave it to someone) I also disconnected the fittings for the return line that sit in the accumulator area. I have no clue where that hardware is, so I'll have to figure out something to connect the lines with if I plan to re-purpose the return line as a fuel line.

Problem 3. My Ford intake and carburetor arrived yesterday. Upon inspecting the carb, I realized I messed up and ordered one with 1.21 venturies. I tried swapping lids from my 1.08 with the 1.21 carb just so I could have the integrated choke pulloff. I found out the lids are not interchangeable.

So I've got no keys, no return fuel line, and the wrong carb for my Peugot 604 intake manifold. I'm pretty sure I'll have all of these things worked out before Farrar's car is back on the road.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Incidentally, I still highly recommend just buying a carb from Bill if you aren't on his naughty list. He is a little pricey at $300 but you know it will work.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I can ship you one of my spares with the manifold AS SOON AS IT ARRIVES!!!
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, 3676, and 4590

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    I can ship you one of my spares with the manifold AS SOON AS IT ARRIVES!!!
    Um, okay.

No clue where Chad is getting these carbs from but I certainly don't doubt him. I tried getting these carbs from my local junk yard and they only have new cars these days (less than 20 years old).

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I have a source. If anyone ever needs a good-to-go, tested, DeLorean 1.08 carb, it's $250.00 plus shipping if fully rebuilt. That's exactly what a local rebuilder charges me for one. I have a stockpile of used ones I'va accumulated as well and, if you already have one, I can get it fully cleaned and rebuilt for $100.00.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, 3676, and 4590

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.