Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb mod: GM fuel pump re-purposed as a fuel pickup.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    What size fuel hose should I run? I think Bills spreadsheet shows 1/4", the barbs on the fuel filter are 5/16" (I think,) and you mention 3/8" above.
    The fitting on my GM Fuel Pump pickup thingie is for a 3/8 inch hose. Originally I was going to run a fresh length of 3/8 inch hose from the front to the back but this thick of a hose bends flat to easily.

Bill uses 1/4 inch hose and from what I've seen with 3/8 inch hose, I think that is the better option.

The only fittings I can find to connect to my GM pickup assembly are for 3/8 inch hose. What I now plan to do is connect a small piece of 3/8 inch hose to the fitting, and then a 3/8" to 1/4" inch adapter at the end of the small piece of hose. From there I will run 1/4" hose to the back of the car.

I'm just doing this to prevent kinks in the fuel line. The best way would be to find a fitting with a 1/4" barb to connect to the fuel pickup and run pure 1/4" fuel line all the way to the back of the car.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    On second thought, I'm going to try something different.

Doorman makes a 3/8 inch to 5/16 inch fitting for these fuel pumps. I'm going to buy one of those and see if I can jam a 1/4 inch hose on it. If 1/4 inch won't jam on it, then I'll either consider using 5/16 inch hose if it is firm enough, or making an adapter for 1/4 inch hose.

Doorman Part # 800-085.5
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/131889922570

Honestly, the 3/8 inch hose I have right now would probably work, but I don't want to risk getting any kinks in my fuel line. I've battled that before and it isn't fun.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    I ended up running the 3/8 inch fuel line today anyway. I immediately drove to the gas station, filled the tank. And inspected the GM fuel pump for leaks. I also went for a brief drive on the interstate.

I'm proud to say the thing works fine and is leak free.

I am still concerned about possible vapor lock during the summer. I'm planning to eventually use a hose with a smaller diameter but for now this works fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk because I'm too lazy to turn off the mobile signature thingie on my phone.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Fuel Sending Video
    Hey Chad, I always make sure both holes on the bottom of these senders are plugged. Then the fuel gauge does not move under acceleration. Can't speak to the accuracy. I just didn't like how the needle would move up and down on acceleration and breaking.

VIN
    Rich called and said he wants to see my fuel pump.

Here is the dummy pump in my fuel tank and here is the live pump in my engine bay.

Note that there is no power connected to the dummy pump in the gas tank. It is there for pickup purposes only.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk because I'm too lazy to turn off the mobile signature thingie on my phone.

VIN

I see your engine bay is almost as dirty as mine. Good job.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Dirty but we'll organized.

Administrator
    VIN
    Looks good....I might do this, don't send me the fuel pump carrier yet.