Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carb mod: GM fuel pump re-purposed as a fuel pickup.

VIN
    Its cold and dark outside. The clamp and sensor are on order.

Once again, this little experiment is still in the testing phase, but I'll be sure to post a video and add some part numbers to the cross reference list, providing this thing works.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    I'm going to throw in a pair of these fittings as well.

That puts the total just slightly over $50 providing everything works.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-08...ds=800-082#Ask
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    My lazy butt just added everything up. Considering you have to pay shipping on one of those $50 fuel pump boots, I'm well ahead of the game.

Clamp $12.89

Sensor $7.89

Fuel Pump/Pickup $24.99

Pair of 3/8" Connectors $7.57

Total: $53.34

VIN
    So my eBay clamp finally showed up. Before putting the fuel pump housing in the tank I did make a few modifications.

1. First I removed all of the upper tension springs. The internal housing still had springs inside of it and it still had lots of pressure.

2. Next I removed all of the internal wiring and the fuel sender. The fuel pump stays in the sender because it is needed to have something to route to the bottom of the tank.

3. There is a plastic tab that extends from the top of the top of the housing. I cut it off. You can see it circled in one of the attached pictures.

4. I filled the return fuel line with JB weld and capped it off. Its up to you if you want to use this for ventilation or not.

Thats about it. I dropped the thing into the tang with its rubber gasket and applied pressure (Pushing it down) as I tightened the four inch clamp. The clamp I had tightened all the way, and everything seems snug.

I currently have 1/4 inch fuel line on the car and the fitting on the pump is 3/8 inch. In a day or so I'll head to the hardware store and either get a new 3/8 fuel line or an adapter to make it work. I haven't decided yet.

Whoever at DMCH came up with this idea is a genius. I really like this design.

Disclaimer, blah blah blah. I'm only using this for a fuel pickup. The fuel pump in this is not compatible with the pressures required for K-Jet or carburetors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VIN
    I'm too lazy to head to the store, so I ordered some 3/8 inch hose from Amazon. I'm getting 25 feet of Gates hose for $22. Unfortunately the stuff I ordered doesn't qualify for Prime shipping, so its going to be a week or two until it comes in.

VIN
    So my 3/8 inch hose finally showed up. I went out there today and ran a length of hose from the pickup assembly to my fuel pump that is mounted in the back of the car. The car started up on the first try.

My only complaint about 3/8 inch hose is it will be easier to smash if I am not careful. Smashed fuel line can be a bad thing as it has the potential to cut off fuel flow.

When I get around to it I am going to run the new fuel line under the car and along the frame. Its dark outside right now, so it will have to happen another day.

Administrator
    VIN
    What size fuel hose should I run? I think Bills spreadsheet shows 1/4", the barbs on the fuel filter are 5/16" (I think,) and you mention 3/8" above.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Anything works with enough hose clamps.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, 3676, and 4590

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

It's nice to have the fuel light come on when you're low, but on the other hand, I start to panic hardcore. In a Corolla I probably have 50 miles or more. In this car I have to assume I'm on fumes.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru