Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What does a Donald Trump Presidency mean for your 401k?

Obama let China hack my OPM records and they know everything about me, which impacts me more than the DNC's emails... yet they don't want to start a war over that. But that's none of my business.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Not Russia..think China
    Found it:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7481486.html

Consider this a warning Dead Lesbian Goat's Avatar
    VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Not really what I hve in mind but close. China pretty much owns our ass, both on the financial front and the trade front. We have made it for so long for one reason and that is because we play ball with them (and by playing ball I mean they throw the ball and we go fetch it). Trump does not like this relationship but I believe this relationship has gone for so long it only has one final outcome that doesn't end well for us and this is a finality that we must face sooner or later. Trump's actions just may make that end come sooner....much sooner.

Been seeing a lot of posts on FB about people bragging about their 401k and investments being up. Sudden changes in markets are almost always short lived.

VIN
    Been seeing a lot of posts on FB about people bragging about their 401k and investments being up. Sudden changes in markets are almost always short lived.
    Sounds like I better transfer everything into a stable value fund in the next 30 days.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

China pretty much owns our ass, both on the financial front and the trade front.
    Do they really though? They own less than 10% of our debt, and rely heavily on exporting to us and our partners.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    This is what I wanted to avoid but I will continue. China owning even 6 or 7% is significant because most of the debt is owned by separate entities of the US(social security, fed banks) so they are pretty much policing themselves. China on the other hand does not like the fact that we are printing money at an unprecedented rate to cover our deficit which makes the debt they do own less valuable and they are expecting a return here. Even 6 or 7% sold off quickly would be devastating to our economy. Factor in that Russia and China are forming strong ties to align their currencies and you have a perfect storm on the horizon if Trump pisses them off enough.
    True also is the export imbalance, yes China makes bank off us but how much do we export to China? How much do we make off them? One would think China is not going to bite the hand that feeds them...unless they themselves can be the hand that feeds us and THAT'S the ultimate goal. China would take us down in a heartbeat if they could and the actions that may or may not happen in the next few years could give them the window.
    They say don't poke the sleeping bear. We have always been the bear in the past but now China is the bear and Trump just walked in, slammed the door, dropped the stick on the ground and pulled out a air horn.
    Now I'm not complaining here, I think the sooner this happens the better but this is the better of two very bad scenarios. Better is not good, it's just not as bad. All I'm saying is buckle up and remember it will get worse before(if might be closer) it gets better.

The stock market does not seem to be affected much by any current events. With interest rates low, I don't think people will stop their 401 Ks investment in the market. I never thought the DOW would go above 18,000 but now its close to 20,000. There is just no alternative investment options if you want to get 5% or more gain.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

VIN
    Blog Entries
    The market is in all time record territory. The fed just raised interest rates again and plan to raise them 3 more times next year. This is great news for the markets and for those invested. Just don't be suprised if it all comes to an abrupt end.

I don't pretend to be an economist so I am just asking questions. If they dumped all of their debt, would that even affect us? Wouldn't it become valueless if we just said "We will not regard this debt or remunerate in any form."? Not good times for us of course, but what recourse would they have, and how would it really affect us? The debt exists regardless of who owns it. I would think debt being in the hands of people we don't care about would hold less sway.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by sedated View Post
    I would think debt being in the hands of people we don't care about would hold less sway.
    China owns the technology that makes DMCToday possible.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)