Thread: Electric McFly

Electric McFly

I have an 81 Automatic that i want to convert to electric. Any ideas on getting started? I know it won't be cheap, but that doesn't mean it is not worth doing. I love a challenge.
    :Ross

VIN
    I plan to do the same with my car.

I am not sure what you will need to do to make an auto trans work. I have a manual and most EV conversions are done using a manual trans. Not to say it is impossible, I personally don't know about it.

Since you are out in the LA area you should look up EV West(San Diego I think). They are converting a Delorean right now. They are going to be making a motor to trans adaptor plate that you will need. I plan to buy one from them.

Basically you will need to do a lot of research and decide what you want to do and how far you budget really goes.

AC set up or DC set up is your first decision. Then you pick the controller that will work best for the set up you want. After that you will need to decide what kind of batteries you want to use to power it all.

I plan on doing a super cheap set up with a DC motor and simple lead acid batteries. I will only end up with approx 40 miles per charge but that will be enough to get me around the city here.

There are a few EV converted deloreans out in the world already. One is a guy in NY named Dave Delman. Look him up on YouTube and he has a website http://www.electricdelorean.com/ that will give you some info on what he did. I plan the basically copy what his set up is. He has been running that car since 2007. I got to chat with him for a while at the recent DCS. Very cool guy and very smart.

Basically do a lot of reading and see if you can find an EV club or other folk out your way that you can meet up with and could assist you on your journey.

Try to do better than me and take lots of photos of your work along the way. It would be fun for the rest of us to read. I think there will be a lot of folks doing EV swaps to their Delorean as time goes on.

Keep us posted on what your research leads you too and what you decide to do. When work begins start a new thread and posts lots of pictures. I am excited to see how your project progresses.

Don't forget to Have fun.

VIN

Contact Dave Delman on Long Island NY as stated in the above post. He converted his D to all electric.

You can google electric Delorean and he has a blog page I believe
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap

How much does an electric conversion run roughly? I know DMCH tried to sell them for $100K a pop, but I thought that included a bunch of unnecessary custom and restoration work and also the car. Genuinely curious.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    How much does an electric conversion run roughly?
    I plan to do a really cheap DC set up and a quick guesstimate looks like

Motor. 2K
    Controller. 2K
    Batteries. (Lead acid) 2K
    Adaptor plate. 1K
    Other stuff. 1K

So look to at least 8K if you want to go this route.

This is for a very basic DC set up with enough juice to move a heavy car like the Delorean.

You may be able to pay less in parts for a smaller/lighter vehicle.

The lead acid batteries in this case will provide approx 40 miles per charge.

Typically an AC set up is a bit more for the motor and for some of the other parts that go along with it.

Batteries are where you will really spend money. For instance if you want approx 100 miles per charge you will need to go with lithium batteries. A set of lithium to power that much will cost you approx 12K for just the battery set up.

Like anything the prices can get real high real fast if you are looking for more speed more power more range etc.

There is the option of finding an old car someone already converted and getting those parts. In addition to that, EVs like the tesla, leaf, volt, and others are getting old enough to buy cheap on the used market or possiblely find a wrecked out car to use for parts.

To answer your question it will cost approx 8K +/-

If you go to a shop and have them do it for you I have heard quotes that start around 30K and go up from there depending on the options you choose. Those set ups will be far better than the basic DC set up I am planning but the price difference is huge.

All of these prices have nothing to do with the donor car and it condition. So if your car is in perfect condition no extra costs. However, a car like mine is going to need a lot of time and money before I can get to putting in EV time and money.

VIN
    I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that is going to convert my DMC to electric. I want to use a Tesla motor but the controller will be difficult to program. I have been watching www.EVTV.me with Jack Rickard. He almost has the CAM bus mapped. My concern is not the motor but the battery because of the limited space. I figure I'll need at least a 70kw pack at 360volt.

VIN
    Delman's car is sweet. If I were going electric, I would try to just copy what he did.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Delman's car is sweet. If I were going electric, I would try to just copy what he did.
    That is exactly what I am going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc-4625 View Post
    I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that is going to convert my DMC to electric. I want to use a Tesla motor but the controller will be difficult to program. I have been watching www.EVTV.me with Jack Rickard. He almost has the CAM bus mapped. My concern is not the motor but the battery because of the limited space. I figure I'll need at least a 70kw pack at 360volt.
    I'm not sure if there is a specific battery you are looking at but there is a good amount of space in the delorean.

In the front trunk, rear above the motor, and even where the gas tank was. Dave fit 13 lead acid(larger standard type) car batteries in the front and rear with extra space for the controller and other goodies. I do not think he put anything in gas tank area or any in the cabin either.

I am going to try to maximize the space the best I can but I am sure there is room for everything and then some.