Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new member here.... 1981 DMC with 1,248 miles

new member here.... 1981 DMC with 1,248 miles

Looking forward to taking part in many useful discussions going forward.

I inherited a 1981 Delorean that has been in 100% clean/dry storage since 1982. My grandpa bought the car new, put 1,248 miles on it, then stored it.

It's a 5 speed car & in 100% mint condition.

Once it is transported to my house I plan to begin by going through the fuel system and all other necessary steps to safely put it back on the road after being stored this long.

I'm sure this forum will be a big help. Thanks in advance.

Anthony
    Cleveland, TN

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Welcome. Be sure to post some pics when you get it. There is a process for bringing a dormant DeLorean back to life.

VIN
    future
    congratulations, neat to keep the car in the family. looking forward to updates on the the awakening process!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 64%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

VIN
    Fantastic story!
    Hope to see some pictures of your car in a near future

Were the fluids drained first? I know the general rule of thumb is (was?) $1,000 for every year it sat, but that's assuming "barn find" type conditions. There's definitely some rubber that needs to be replaced, but if it was properly preserved, I'd pre-emptively state that you're probably looking at very low costs compared to one that sat outdoors for the same timeframe.

I'm going to +1 the pictures. They may all look the same to a new owner, but we can help guide you on what needs to be done to get it back up and running. We've got trained eyes for that stuff, and soon, you will too, should you choose to accept the task.

Administrator
    VIN
    Welcome.....sounds like an awesome history!

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Definately the coolest story. I know if I had a DeLorean that was owned by my dad or grandfather, selling it would not be on the table unless we were starving....and then only if it were me starving.

VIN
    Welcome to the Delorean Zoo.....

The storage situation was as follows. My papaw built a huge garage for his cars into the side of the mountain where he loved. They face of the garage was nearly flush with the mountain side. It was approximately the size of a high-school gym. Ceilings about 40ft tall, all concrete. He backed the car into the far back corner which was probably 65-70 feet from the nearest door. 90% of the time the big rollup doors were kept closed.

The garage stays extremely dry. With it being under ground, the temperature was usually 10-15 degrees cooler than outside during warm months & a little warmer in cold months. Fluids were not drained. It was simply backed in there & parked after driving it 1200 miles.

Visually it looks brand new. I crawled underneath it too & it looks absolutely pristine, new, dry.

I will get pics next time I go visit. The car won't be released to me until the estate is settled & the executor begins distribution. I do not plan to sell... I fully plan to fix everything that needs fixed & get it back on the road.

VIN
    Dude. That's awesome. Almost too good to be true. What other toys did he leave in that garage?
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)