View Poll Results: Should duplicate accounts be merged?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 100.00%
  • No

0 0%

Thread: Merging Duplicate Accounts

VIN
    Blog Entries

Merging Duplicate Accounts

Since Bill has a problem with duplicate accounts; despite the marked hypocrisy of him posting about it from a duplicate account, I propose the merging of duplicate accounts with their parent account.

The process is relatively straightforward; I used it to merge the posts I made about troubleshooting my car while it was essential to keep it confidential due to the agreement I signed with the TV show,

No posts get deleted and the only difference is that the posts from the second account are renamed to the primary account.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    So has this been done yet? I'm too lazy to check.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    No. I'm doing it at midnight.
    -Chad K.

VIN
    Smart man. Congradulations on graduating too siir.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Looks like I don't have the ability do so; someone else will have to enact such changes.
    -Chad K.

VIN
    Crap. I thought you were a full admin.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Issues corrected and the only change that will be noted is that the user "Speaking The Truith" no longer exists; however, every post still exists under the username "content22207"
    -Chad K.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    the only change that will be noted is that the user "Speaking The Truith" no longer exists; however, every post still exists under the username "content22207"
    Bill's the only one that had a duplicate account? Or were the rest already merged into their prospective parent accounts? Could've sworn I read a few of you speaking of more duplicates than that...

In any case, can we make it a general rule to have one account per person? Or, in the case of test accounts, per user role?

I can understand an extreme or unusual circumstance in which multiple accounts are called for (legal obligations come to mind), but in that situation, I would like to see at least two administrators not involved in it provide consent before a member is allowed to create a duplicate account. Well, not "see" per se, I'm assuming this would be all done privately. But bare minimum someone trustworthy should know about it. If I am to be duped, it damn well better be a group effort!

VIN
    Blog Entries
    There were others, but they've been weeded out; to a certain extent. You can never say with 100% certainty that there are no duplicate accounts on a forum when membership exceeds two people.

Bill was just the only one liable to complain about it; hence, the preemptive documentation.
    -Chad K.