Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Design and Drawings done for carb manifold finished

LOL

Perfect.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

All parts ordered. Only a welding quote left. Got enough for a 2 unit trial to work out kinks.

Speaking of kinks. We computational flow dynamics now.

Last edited by 48jeep; 06-07-2016 at 10:18 PM.
    Rebuilding basket cases in parking lots since 2005.

87 Vette, 56 Metropolitan, 78 Vette, 81 DMC.

VIN
    This is the fuel pump most of us are using.
    http://m.autozone.com/external-engin...191411_0_5752/

Autozone changed the part number a little but it's the same specs. 5 - 9 psi
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Thanks. Is that a flow though pump? I only ask as I have killed nearly a dozen fuel pumps in my life, so now I install a mechanical with an inline "Priming" electric for full time use in a bind.

Also, how is that stupid little AC arm I replaced with a metal bit holding up?
    Last edited by 48jeep; 06-07-2016 at 10:41 PM.

VIN
    Bill mentioned sometime last year that he was running a mechanical pump with an electrical in line as a backup. I'm pretty sure he keeps it powered off and his plan is to switch it on if the mechanical fails. If that's working then it guess it's a flow through pump.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by 48jeep View Post
    All parts ordered. Only a welding quote left. Got enough for a 2 unit trial to work out kinks.

Speaking of kinks. We computational flow dynamics now.

Now make that little dividing plate in the central plenum removable and you'll have a single/dual plane adaptable manifold! Better yet, attach it to a hinge with some electronics so that it pivots downward as the RPMs increase - so you get the low RPM and high RPM benefits of a dual plane & single plane manifold.

Quote Originally Posted by Boglin View Post
    Now make that little dividing plate in the central plenum removable and you'll have a single/dual plane adaptable manifold! Better yet, attach it to a hinge with some electronics so that it pivots downward as the RPMs increase - so you get the low RPM and high RPM benefits of a dual plane & single plane manifold.
    If I were to do that, I would just set up the center plate to work as a knife gate and attach it to the throttle cable. Doing that without introducing a vacuum leak source would be troublesome though. Maybe an internal vacuum diaphragm instead.

Maybe I'll do that down the road. But for now, simple block of aluminum with which to bolt a complicated block of aluminum will suffice. Though it would be very easy to do a revision with a manually removable blocking plate. I think I may do that after I test revision 1.
    Last edited by 48jeep; 06-08-2016 at 09:21 AM.

VIN
    Simple is good. Complicated is Kjet.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Agreed.

Anyhow, materials ordered. Should have the piping here later in the month, and the central body parts next week. So maybe a month, a month and a half from my first 2 units. Based on my estimation of welding labor, and my actual material costs, I'm thinking I can crank out manifolds by themselves for about 500 bucks a pop. I'm getting excited.

Sample of drawings used for QC after plasma cut for the mating surface (I love plasma tables). Deleted measurements because muh intellectual propertah.

sdasdd.jpg
    Last edited by 48jeep; 06-09-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    k-jet is pretty simple compared to efi
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.