Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Design and Drawings done for carb manifold finished

VIN
    Shoot, I'd send you my carb and manifold for measurements but I need it so I can drive to DCS next month.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

I'll take one too.
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    While we are on the topic of hoarding parts we don't need, I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a spare set of Henninger control arms. They would be really nice to have if I ever pickup a second delorean.
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Farrar's car blog and it will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2016)
    Rest assured, we have a backup of Shep's posts and all of them will be restored in the near future. (Steve Rice - March 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Shoot, I'd send you my carb and manifold for measurements but I need it so I can drive to DCS next month.
    Thanks for that, but I've got it covered. Chad gave me a spare kjet manifold/carb gasket and I reverse engineered mating surfaces off those. So my model is actually accurate, not just a shiny representation. I'm going to build a jig to be 100% certain for each build, but otherwise it is good to go.
    Rebuilding basket cases in parking lots since 2005.

87 Vette, 56 Metropolitan, 78 Vette, 81 DMC.

Quote Originally Posted by 48jeep View Post
    Thanks for that, but I've got it covered. Chad gave me a spare kjet manifold/carb gasket and I reverse engineered mating surfaces off those. So my model is actually accurate, not just a shiny representation. I'm going to build a jig to be 100% certain for each build, but otherwise it is good to go.
    Can you redneck it up a little bit?
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Can you redneck it up a little bit?
    If I wanted to go (high level) redneck:
    First I would use my 3d printer to make a to-scale model of the unit
    Next I would pack the printed unit with sand.
    Next I would throw the packed item into an oven to melt the plastic out, leaving a hollow of the manifold, and also piss my wife off something fierce.
    Next I would drink a shitload of beer, and afterwards melt a shitload of beer cans in a crucible in a well fired BBQ pit, scrape off the slag, and then pour my beer can alloy into the sand cast mold, resulting in a beer can aluminum alloy intake manifold.

I suppose diet cheerwine might be more customary in these circles though.

I have done that before on smaller items. I might have seriously considered it more on this project were it not that I currently live in an apartment, and I don't think they would appreciate me using the common area BBQ pits for autopart manufacturing. I also have a bunch of casting investment remaining from a previous project (my wife's wedding ring), so that would be good to get rid of productively in lieu of sand.

VIN
    Wow.

That's all well and good but when someone looks at my car, I want some visible identifier that says, "this guy uses lawn mower parts and holds primitive social beliefs."
    Bungee Cup Holder Guru

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by 48jeep View Post
    What PSI and volume fuel pump have you carb people been running with the motorcraft 2100?
    Andrew and I both use an Airtex 1436 mechanical pump with our Solex carbs. It is the original Sofabex pump used on Peugeot 604s and Renault Alpines.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    That's all well and good but when someone looks at my car, I want some visible identifier that says, "this guy uses lawn mower parts and holds primitive social beliefs."
    I know just what you need. A bumpersticker from my massive hoard of Trump merch for the air cleaner.

assembly Trump.jpg
    Last edited by 48jeep; 06-07-2016 at 12:01 PM.