Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shep's Mostly Broken and Unlabeled Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Boglin View Post
    While I can't recall the source from memory, I have seen or heard elsewhere that the new distributor caps weren't as "good" as the originals.
    I honestly have not heard this, nor am I familiar enough to weigh in.

I also note that you price your used cap at 65% the price of a new cap
    Which was the nearest five that made sense -- $20 might have trouble selling. Don't read too much into the numbers, I'm not playing any percentage games here.

and that you call attention to the fact that the new caps being sold are reproductions.
    Uh, what? All I said was "DMCH lists a repro for $23", that's hardly "calling attention" to it.

I quasi-equate installing a used distributor cap to installing a used...
    That whole paragraph was a comparison that could be made to anything that degrades with time. Why used tires vs. new tires? Why a used car vs. a new car? Why a used house vs. a new house? The answer is simple: price, preference, and priority. Price: he explicitly asked what I would sell it for, and I thought a fair price was lower, so that's an advantage. Preference: he told me he needed a spare via PM. I didn't question why, and don't intend to either, but I'm sure he has a good reason for it. Priority: I can provide it to him quick, but so can a vendor, so that's a toss up. However, for the price, having an extra one laying around for when (hopefully "if") his goes kaput, the cheaper option is better.

Therefore, I concluded from Chad's post, your post, and other information that I've read/heard, that there must be something advantageous about an (assuming) original distributor cap over the new reproduction caps.
    That's lovely, but it's heavy on the "other information" and has no bearing on a sale of random parts.

Honestly, I don't think this ever was the time or place for this discussion. If you'd like to have it, feel free to start a new thread in General Discussion. I for one do not like being targeted for something so benign when all I'm doing is trying to clear out space in my garage. It's fifteen bucks, is our time really that worthless that we can sit around and BS about the quality of a piece of plastic?
    Last edited by Shep; 04-03-2016 at 03:54 PM.

Little aggressive, Mike. It would have been sufficient for you to say that you were not aware of any differences between the repro caps and yours.

Little aggressive, Mike.
    Sorry about that. To me, your second post read aggressively itself, so I apologize if I misjudged that. Hard to gauge things from just text, even trickier when my autistic tendencies to misread things take the wheel. Thank you for letting me know I was too aggressive there, I really do appreciate it! Still learning your mannerisms I suppose. (Is "mannerisms" the right word?)

Updated the OP with the original tires I had by the way.

EDIT:
    I've moved the content of the post in question to a TXT file elsewhere. I know there's a "no delete" rule, but that's mostly for the flow of the thread, which is still intact I believe.

EDIT 2:
    Wow, just re-read the last couple pages, man I was way off base there. Sorry about that man
    Last edited by Shep; 04-03-2016 at 06:40 PM.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    I spent a week trying to diagnose a faulty repro distributor cap.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, 1269, and 4590

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Sorry for the late reply. I think ill pass on the horns for now. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinDMC View Post
    Sorry for the late reply. I think ill pass on the horns for now. Thanks!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
    Okay, thanks for letting me know!

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    So the repro caps are junk? Why is it that they're so terrible? Sealing? Conductor quality? Fitment to the distributor?
    The following is not intended to prejudice your sale in any way.

While I can't recall the source from memory, I have seen or heard elsewhere that the new distributor caps weren't as "good" as the originals. I also note that you price your used cap at 65% the price of a new cap, and that you call attention to the fact that the new caps being sold are reproductions.

I quasi-equate installing a used distributor cap to installing a used spark plug. I cannot fathom installing a used spark plug under any other circumstance than where a new spark plug is not available or would put you in a worse condition than a new spark plug. Using this logic in view of the current market offerings of distributor caps, I cannot fathom why anyone would want to install a used distributor cap if it were not better in some way than the new reproduction caps being sold. The counter argument would be that someone wants to save a few dollars, but I think this is weak because of the number of well-known disadvantages to buying any used part (return policy, undetectable damage, unforeseeable lifespan, etc) that would outweigh the cost savings.

Therefore, I concluded from Chad's post, your post, and other information that I've read/heard, that there must be something advantageous about an (assuming) original distributor cap over the new reproduction caps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    I spent a week trying to diagnose a faulty repro distributor cap.
    IMHO, the repro/generic caps currently on the market have both poor electrical conductivity and poor structural integrity (much thinner plastic housing) when compared to an OEM Bosch unit. I've seen a few suffer cracks in the plastic housing after relatively short/minor use, thus causing conductivity and shorting issues. The brass terminals also seems to wear much faster on the repro/generic caps.
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Perfect - thanks Shep, the detail is definitely appreciated

I'll be in touch!
    Did this mean you were interested in parts, or was that just a general "I'll be in touch"? Everything without an "X" over it in the OP is still up for grabs.

Lower left hand corner of photo #9. Is that the sleeve that goes over the wires in the back of the engine bay?
    If so, how much?

-Ryan

(I had a post here, but have no idea where it went to... Might have accidentally deleted it when I went to edit the post, if I did, my bad! Re-creating it as best as possible here)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Lower left hand corner of photo #9. Is that the sleeve that goes over the wires in the back of the engine bay?
    If so, how much?

-Ryan
    I haven't a clue what that part is. I tried searching DMCH's site for "sleeve", and came across about fifteen pages of the same damn shirt because oh my gosh, they have sleeves! Seriously, one listing is enough, I didn't like it the first time, and I don't think an additional 40-some iterations of the same damn thing is going to convince me otherwise. Didn't see the part in question there.

I did notice they are now selling the early air filter label and the full color schematic, both of which I 100% freely hosted on my site and linked to on the Talk. Not too happy with them pulling that crap as this isn't the first time they've tempted fate with me. At this point, I have bigger fish to fry, but considering how it played out last time, this probably isn't the end of their shenanigans...

I digress though, do you have a part number or fuller description that I can go off of? Really don't know where to find the part, although I'll take better pictures in the meantime!