Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shep's Mostly Broken and Unlabeled Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Has the distributor cap sold?
    Nope, still up for grabs. So far I've only sold the fuel sender.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Is it an original Bosch unit? If so, I'm interested.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Is it an original Bosch unit? If so, I'm interested.
    Haven't a clue. How can I tell?

VIN
    Blog Entries
    What's it say on the cap?
    -Chad K.

What's it say on the cap?
    This:

Googling the number in the first one, it looks like it's a Bosch part. No idea if it's original or not.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    That's the one I want. What's a fair price for a used distributor cap?
    -Chad K.

That's the one I want. What's a fair price for a used distributor cap?
    Just the cap? DMCH lists a repro for $23, so I'd say $15 firm for mine, which includes shipping. Price is firm only because shipping and PayPal fees are going to eat up much of that.

Wires are extra, although I can't quite match them up to a DMCH part on mobile. Do you need the wires too, or just the cap?

Send me a PM either way and we can work out the particulars.

So the repro caps are junk? Why is it that they're so terrible? Sealing? Conductor quality? Fitment to the distributor?

Quote Originally Posted by Boglin View Post
    So the repro caps are junk? Why is it that they're so terrible? Sealing? Conductor quality? Fitment to the distributor?
    I'm missing something here. Context please? I don't recall seeing anyone say the repros were junk here nor elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I'm missing something here. Context please? I don't recall seeing anyone say the repros were junk here nor elsewhere...
    The following is not intended to prejudice your sale in any way.

While I can't recall the source from memory, I have seen or heard elsewhere that the new distributor caps weren't as "good" as the originals. I also note that you price your used cap at 65% the price of a new cap, and that you call attention to the fact that the new caps being sold are reproductions.

I quasi-equate installing a used distributor cap to installing a used spark plug. I cannot fathom installing a used spark plug under any other circumstance than where a new spark plug is not available or would put you in a worse condition than a new spark plug. Using this logic in view of the current market offerings of distributor caps, I cannot fathom why anyone would want to install a used distributor cap if it were not better in some way than the new reproduction caps being sold. The counter argument would be that someone wants to save a few dollars, but I think this is weak because of the number of well-known disadvantages to buying any used part (return policy, undetectable damage, unforeseeable lifespan, etc) that would outweigh the cost savings.

Therefore, I concluded from Chad's post, your post, and other information that I've read/heard, that there must be something advantageous about an (assuming) original distributor cap over the new reproduction caps.