Thread: Very Early OEM Leather Binnacle (NOT DMCCal recover!)

Yes, this is a thing, and yes, I can tell the difference. Estimates are about 100 DeLoreans that had leather binnacles from the factory. Mostly 500-series cars, although some 600-series and 700-series VIN's have been found with them. DMC California has been producing their own version with no knowledge of an original leather binnacle (Danny even bluntly told me there were no OEM leather binnacles). Mine originally had one, however this was one of the many parts removed from my car and later replaced with an off-the-shelf variant, and is one of the last ones left for me to source or replicate. I do have the details to replicate it, however I'd much rather prefer an original.

How to tell the difference:
    Biggest giveaway is stitching. There should only be one spot on the bottom with stitching, absolutely nothing on the sides. DMCCal's binnacles have always been stitched in four places on the side with an additional spot on the bottom.

If you're not sure, post and/or send me a picture and I'll let you know.

Payment can be made via PayPal, also open to a trade for other parts I have, or even a mix of both.

PICTURES:
    Here's a pic from VIN 583, courtesy of the Tony Swann collection

PRICING:
    $300 Hervey's vinyl recover
    * $350 (?) DMCCal's leather recover
    ** $600 plus Original leather binnacle in "good" condition
    * DMCCal's price is from memory. Digging through emails and old posts came up empty. Might be short, but no more than $500 including core
    ** Price for an original is unknown due to inability to locate any sale info. Figure here is an estimate.

Originality commands a premium. I'm the only guy willing to pay that much extra for something like this. Will be installed on VIN 559, not some 1X,XXX VIN where it doesn't belong!

ALTERNATE CONTACT INFO:
    Just in case someone doesn't want to register here but has the part I need:
    Email: parts@raccin.industries

EDITS:
    2016-03-25: added picture from the Tony Swann collection
    2016-06-25: added pricing model and alternate contact info
    Last edited by Shep; 03-04-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Got a photo, Mike?

(FYI everyone: "Mike" and "Shep" are interchangeable for me. I just use "Shep" here because no one else in the DeLorean community goes by that)
    Last edited by Shep; 03-25-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Three-month bump!

I know most of you guys are prepping your cars for DCS. Those of you that could use some travel cash and are in a position to sell one, hit me up. Will pay top dollar!

(Updated OP with pricing info by the way)