Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Deleting posts

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I use IP cameras..easy peasy and you can monitor from any device anywhere and no monthly charges...uses your home WiFi
    I'm going to setup a dedicated PC I think and hardwire most of the cameras with PoE. Any recommendations on software?

Quote Originally Posted by Boglin View Post
    Hey, do you IT guys have any experience setting up a PC-based home surveillance system?
    I do, and as Michael says, it's dead easy. IP Cams (especially if you use PoE ones) are simple to configure. There are even some that tie into VOIP systems so you can roll your own PBX I've been debating doing that for myself, the only catch is I am exclusively Cell now (though one cool thing you can configure is that it senses when your cell gets back to the home wifi and forwards calls back to the house PBX)

VIN
    I use a collection of WiFi IP cameras that are managed through an app called Tinycam Monitor Pro. It runs on an old transformer tablet and manages all of the motion detection, recording, notification and housekeeping details for the various feeds that I have. It also has a built in web server so if I don't want to use the app directly on my phone, I can just connect directly to the tablet from anywhere on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Boglin View Post
    I'm going to setup a dedicated PC I think and hardwire most of the cameras with PoE. Any recommendations on software?
    Should have read all comments before responding... I like these:

ZoneMinder
    LinuxMCE (Full home automation, security, phone, etc!)

Administrator
    VIN
    I've worked with hardwired, WiFi, and PoE but don't have a specific software recommendation. If it's broken while I'm down there I'll fix it for you...