View Poll Results: Which poster version do you prefer?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Version 1 - square font based on the original DMC Font

3 60.00%
  • Version 2 - modern bold font

2 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updated DeLorean Dealership Poster

Updated DeLorean Dealership Poster

OK folks, With the BTTF anniversary last year and the 35th anniversary of the start of production of the cars I figured it was time to an update to the original DeLorean dealership poster.

Cost will be $75.00 and will include shipping in the US. If you are outside of the US, let me know and we can figure out total costs.

I am sure that everyone has seen it, but here is what the original looked like:

For anyone that has not seen one of these in person, they are massive! 40 x 60 inches. Standard poster size is more like 24 x 36 (movie posters are 27 x 40 for reference).

I thought that keeping to the standard size was a bit much, so my updated poster is 3/4 the size of the original, but still large enough to make a statement (30 x 45 inches). Image is custom print on glossy paper at 300DPI so comes out looking awesome at full size.

I am only going to print out 50 copies of the new poster in this size, and they will all be signed and numbered with a certificate of authenticity. I am also going to donate 10% of all profit to the Michael J Fox Foundation.

First, I need help from folks to help make a decision on the "DeLorean" font at the bottom. Because of the DMC-H TM I cannot use the stock font, so here are the 2 options. Please use the poll above to cast your vote:

Version 1, with a new font based on the original DMC font:

and a close up of the font details:

Version 2, with a more modern bold font:

and a close up of the font details:

Please PM me for additional details. If you are interested in getting your name on the list to get one of these, PM me or sent me an email at mcbabb@gmail.com. I am not collecting money yet. I want to get the design finalized and will then post here with the final details.

Questions, comments, thoughts?

Thanks!

VIN
    Blog Entries
    My personal opinion, and I mean no disrespect by it, is that it doesn't make sense to have the doors open with the current burst pattern. If the silhouette of the doors were carried through there as well, then it would make sense; same goes for the doors being closed like on the original. On that note, a little more shading is needed around the simulated tears, as they look a little like flat overlays

I also like the second font better, though, I prefer the original "DeLorean" font as used on the bumper letters of the car. I realize that they may claim to own the trademark, but it's legally unenforceable; see this thread for details: http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...eLorean-Estate

Though, to summarize, John Z. DeLorean had also trademarked that font back in 2000; here's a screencap from the Federal Trademark Registry:

DMCH only owns the one with the half-space:

If anything, you'd have more issues copying the poster than the use of the DeLorean text.

(I've commented to such an extent because I am legitimately interested.)
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    How about if you did version one which I like better but don't entirely love, but made the right angles in the lettering " the n for example" and make them 45 degree corners? They wouldn't be rounded like the Houston lettering, but they might give more of a rounded appearance.

Just a thought. The first does look so blocky, but the second is too common of a font and I personally don't like it at all.

Just my opinion,
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original

Devout Follower Of He Who Walks Behind The Rows NightFlyer's Avatar
    VIN
    I really like the concept and the publications that were added to the collage

As to using the original 'DeLorean' font, isn't there a font that's super close, and only distinguishable by hard core DeLorean nerds, that's already available for free / shareware? That's the one that I'd personally go with.

BTW - Grady had his new Mattaligners laser etched with the 'DeLorean' font if I'm not mistaken....
    "Driving Concours - proving it's possible with every mile!"

--Josh S.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    I really like the concept and the publications that were added to the collage

As to using the original 'DeLorean' font, isn't there a font that's super close, and only distinguishable by hard core DeLorean nerds, that's already available for free / shareware? That's the one that I'd personally go with.

BTW - Grady had his new Mattaligners laser etched with the 'DeLorean' font if I'm not mistaken....
    That would be the font "Rustproof" which; interesting note, is what DMCH literally typed "De Lorean" in and registered, though, the "Rustproof" font differs from the actual lettering used by DMC in that the edges are square on the inside of the letters, whereas DMC had rounded reliefs.

To understand what I mean, look at the spacing in between the bars of the "D" and the "n" or the way the "e" space is shaped.
    -Chad K.

VIN
    And that, my friends, is a hardcore Delorean nerd.

Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Thank you, Lou. My love for the minutia of the DeLorean automobile is why I'm not getting out of this hobby.
    -Chad K.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    My personal opinion, and I mean no disrespect by it, is that it doesn't make sense to have the doors open with the current burst pattern. If the silhouette of the doors were carried through there as well, then it would make sense; same goes for the doors being closed like on the original. On that note, a little more shading is needed around the simulated tears, as they look a little like flat overlays.
    Thanks for responding! I thought about that. want to pay homage to the original poster, but still have it a bit different. If I tore out the area where the doors went through as well it would cover up too much of the of magazines, etc. I believe.

How about, the car drove through, and just as it made it through the hole the doors were opened?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    I also like the second font better, though, I prefer the original "DeLorean" font as used on the bumper letters of the car. I realize that they may claim to own the trademark, but it's legally unenforceable; see this thread for details: http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...eLorean-Estate

Though, to summarize, John Z. DeLorean had also trademarked that font back in 2000; here's a screencap from the Federal Trademark Registry:

DMCH only owns the one with the half-space:

If anything, you'd have more issues copying the poster than the use of the DeLorean text.

(I've commented to such an extent because I am legitimately interested.)
    I think for the poster itself, since that was created by the original company the copyright would have been the original DMC, or the artist that created it. I would think this would be an issue if I was doing a 1:1 recreation.

This is a new work of art, so has a new copyright associated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    How about if you did version one which I like better but don't entirely love, but made the right angles in the lettering " the n for example" and make them 45 degree corners? They wouldn't be rounded like the Houston lettering, but they might give more of a rounded appearance.

Just a thought. The first does look so blocky, but the second is too common of a font and I personally don't like it at all.

Just my opinion,
    I actually played with a lot of regular fonts, as well as multiple custom fonts. Here is one that had the 45 degree angles like you mentioned, but slightly different:

Updated DeLorean Text.jpg

fonts.jpg

The 2 different fonts. Close enough that I believe for TM purposes they would be interchangeable.