Page 79 of 82 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast

Thread: Choosing your first gun / The official gun thread

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I wish I had a bitcoin instead of a gun.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    That just gave me an awesome idea,

Bitgun.com

Get in early, Steve and I are going to bring the second amendment to the digital age.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    So my 1911 ammo grip is pretty much useless even as a novelty. Decided to write up an honest description of the thing. Maybe if Josh were still alive he would buy it or his Colt.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/779377...mmo-count-grip

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    ^lol

Better proof read that before the Nazi from NYC sees it!
    (You/Your)
    Working on "The other DeLorean" (1966 GTO).

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    ^lol

Better proof read that before the Nazi from NYC sees it!
    (You/Your)
    Sorry, but I didn't see the mistake? Maybe I will need the master race grammar patrol after all.

EDIT: Never mind, caught it. Being right at the end of the line, I missed it.

Nice to no that I dont need no grammer polise.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Oh boy, buying a beauty today. Going to meet in a local parking lot to pick it up an an hour or so. Prepare yourselves.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    What a beaut! This is the Sig Spartan 5" 1911. It was made to commemorate the Spartan stand at the battle of Thermopylae. The slide is inlayed in 24k gold the Greek words "Molan Labe" or "Come and take them"
    The finish is what is called oil rubbed bronze to pay homage to the Spartan shield and pics just don't do it justice. It's a very deep bronze with an almost irredesant sheen.
    As far as construction, it's just like my Sig Nickel 1911 except with out the integrated rail. Too pretty to shoot, but I will anyway.

20180114_161000.jpg
    20180114_161258.jpg

Banned From "Tight Ship"
    VIN
    Sweet!
    Working on "The other DeLorean" (1966 GTO).

VIN
    Blog Entries

Administrator
    VIN
    Nice!

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Today I carried a full sized 1911 (which I very very rarely do). One of the salesman spotted it under my jacket and asked me about it. Later on I removed it and dropped the mag and emptied the chamber for him to look at it. Of course the first thing he said when I showed him was "It's cocked" as if I was making some kind of mistake and he was calling me out on it..

He then said he never carries cocked and I was like "woahhhh". Apparently he keeps the hammer down and he made a point of telling me that in a pretty condescending way. I explained to him the "cocked and locked" principle and then explained the action of a 1911 because on this style of weapon, allowing the hammer to rest extends the pin on most all makes and in some cases will allow it to rest on a primer(in other words it could go of at any time). I have also read that hammer down on a loaded chamber is safe because it's still an inertia firing pin but why risk it? Even carrying at half cock is a big NO NO because that is a saftey and not meant to hold the hammer back 24/7. I told him how lucky he was to have not had a unintentional discharge, accidental discharge, negligent discharge, whatever the current PC term is these days,(WTH, I'll call it a desk pop). Anyway, I think I may have changed his mind, I'm not sure. For all I know he probably didn't even have a 1911 but a double action hammer striker pistol or something and he was just confused.

It reminded me of some random FB post I commented on where some snowflake took a picture of a guy sitting in front of him open carrying a 1911 and he went off the deep end because he saw the hammer back. I guess this sort of unfounded fear is common with those not familiar with them.

EDIT: So curiosity got the best of me and I assembled my 1911 without the barrel so I could see where the pin rests with the hammer down. It protrudes just a tiny bit from the striker safety face. Now during firing the pin will extend further, but even having the pin protrude at all is more than I would want with a live round forced against the face.

Now for the 1911 Spartan I just bought, I got BIG plans for it. I hate the grips so I am designing a set of grips from scratch, and employing a 3d modeler to make me some special bronze inlays for said grips. I'm sending the slide off to a laser engraver for some added work, and I am doing a few other small detail to really bring this gun to the level it should have left the factory at. Video will come in a few months.