Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill R's Carb Conversion Kits

VIN

Bill R's Carb Conversion Kits

My car runs so mch better with the sand cast manifold than it ever did with Bill's fabricated manifold.
    Lou and "Boo" - The man you love to hate.

Boo- The car you love to hate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    'Fastest naturally aspirated PRV'
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Spalding"-1973 MG Midget
    All original

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    My car runs so mch better with the sand cast manifold than it ever did with Bill's fabricated manifold.
    I'm stuck using that manifold due to head damage. Were it not for the extra thickness provided by the rubber gaskets, it would not seal. I still have to be careful in tightening it down, as it's prone to vacuum leaks.

I will be switching to a Peugeot manifold - already adapted for a US carburetor - when I can allocate the considerable time and effort required to replace the cylinder heads.

It's also worth noting that Bill doesn't use one of his home-made manifolds on his car.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post

It's also worth noting that Bill doesn't use one of his home-made manifolds on his car.
    That speaks volumes now doesn't it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    All original

When the pissy party stops acting like petulant 2 year olds....

Bill drove on a dual plane for more than a year after DCS'12: http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...take-Manifolds
    Even after this latest batch of manifolds is sold I will keep one for myself. I put it on from time to time, primarily when someone wants to test drive the car because a dual plane is so much closer to street behavior they are used to. Rich test drove my single plane and he struggled with it somewhat (for example rev'ing the engine higher between shifts).

Steve used to own the manifold that is on Louis' car now. He didn't like it.

It all boils down to individual driving styles and what kind of experience the driver is looking for. Useful shorthand is: dual planes are street manifolds and single planes are race manifolds. If you are looking for a more refined driving experience, use a dual plane (nearly all consumer cars used dual plane). If you are looking for a less refined driving experience with easier engine rev'ing (that's where a single plane moves the power band to), us a single plane.

Single planes produce a much lower and inconsistent vacuum signal. This leads to some unusual carb behavior off idle (at least a carburetor that uses vacuum signals for its operation). It works, but it definitely is rougher and less refined than behavior on a dual plane.

Steve and Sam aren't acting like a petulant 2 year olds at the moment -- anyone curious about dual plane behavior can ask them. Steve is a valuable resource because he's driven both (I've driven both as well, but my words don't seem to carry much weight on this forum anymore). Farrar also drove a dual plane, albeit on an engine with apparent internal sickness.

Bill Robertson

Without an adapter of some sort a Peugeot manifold will only bolt up a Solex carburetor:

Peugeot604Adapter.jpg

There's nothing magical about carb adapters -- anyone who works with wood can make one using the same tools -- but to the best of my knowledge ready made adapters for the Solex footprint aren't available. Somebody posted pics not long ago of Alpine (same as Peugeot) manifolds with standardized square bore adapters welded on (and the venturi divider routed out). You could do the same with a 2 barrel adapter (such as Weber), but welding to cast aluminum can be tricky. And the venturi divider might need to be routed out because Solex has really wide spacing between its venturis.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 11-21-2015 at 11:09 AM.

VIN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    my words don't seem to carry much weight on this forum anymore
    Actions speak louder than words and it IS noteworthy that you aren't using a product that you claim to be more refined. This runs against the argument you make for the "refinement" added by your extra steering joint.

I'll admit that, in the past, I was blinded towards a lot of things that you said, but now that I'm looking objectively I've seen a lot of statements that just don't add up.

To all those interested, I'd highly advise you get the single plane manifold.
    -Chad K.
    Previous owner of VINS: 6982, 1601, 1265, and 1269

Dammit, Jim. I'm an undertaker, not a mechanic.

Bill drives very fast, so Bill usually drives a single plane manifold and puts up with temperamental off idle behavior.

It's Bill's car -- Bill can do whatever he wants with it.

Bill Robertson

Matt has driven my car several times -- he can provide an additional viewpoint (IIRC Matt struggled a little with the high RPM's shifts as well, but that could just have been not wanting to over rev someone else's engine).

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by Greasy DeLorean Mechanic; 11-21-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Rob Grady drove John Marconi's car with a dual plane several times over the years -- he can provide another viewpoint.

Bill Robertson

VIN
    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post

Steve and Sam aren't acting like a petulant 2 year olds at the moment
    Bill Robertson
    Your right Bill, just you are.
    Chad and I are stating realistic facts, as opposed to your ignorant falsities.
    Other Delorean owners who have driven my car had said it runs MUCH better overall with the Peugeot manifold than it ever did with Bills hack job. Again, just stating facts. Chad drove my car with the single plane and noted that it ran great and was considerably faster than other Deloreans. Again... FACTS.
    Last edited by Boo; 11-21-2015 at 11:27 AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo"-VIN 5835
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue"-1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc swap
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    All original